going to try different skimmer need advice

d.french

Reef enthusiast
my tank is a 75 gallon with a penn plax 1200 cannister filter one marineland powerhead and a skilter 400 hang on filter with a built on skimmer, but nothing really collects in skimmer accept once i guess air was set to high and it was full of water. But anyway it doesn't work well as a skimmer and is very noisy so i only use it for a filter but i was going to go to petco and pick up the red sea prizm protein skimmer its for up to 100 gallons and has a uprgrade for it for surface skimming also. Does anyone have any input on this skimmer, will it do fine for my setup, its in my price range for what i can spend plus the design is slim so it will fit on tank in back cause i'm limited on space around this tank. water has been good ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and etc. good but i probally should be using a protein skimmer. So any advice would help. Don't know for sure but some say it is noisy but i need something slim that will fit on back of tank i have 4 inches behind tank.

Last edited:
For HOB skimmers the options of a good one are narrow,

It has always been my opinion that the skimmer is the single most important filter on any marine tank and is the only filter that instantly removes waste from the water. I don't know how much the price was at petco, but if you paid just a bit extra for either of the ones below especially the aqua remora pro you would be alot happier in the long run. Plus they are nice and norrow.

Just my :twocents:

PM HOT:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_precision_marine_venturi_es_hot-1.asp?CartId=

Aqua Remora Pro:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_aquac_remora_pro.asp?CartId=

thanks not a bad price i think i will have to try aqua c remora thanks for info i read alot of reviews in other forums on this one and it sound like a very good skimmer for the price.

Thanks for the help
Darrick

which one would be the best the one with maxi jet 1200 or rio or mag drive and would it be a good idea to get the attachment for prefilter.

I would probably atleast get the Rio 1400 since you have a 75, but if you the budget allows mag pumps are alot better about starting up after power outages, being unplugged etc...

I when you say prefilter are you refering to the filter box?

there is a prefilter box that you can buy that hooks to front and is inside the tank it is an over flow box for skimmer if you get a chance go to website and check it out it says it improves skimming by 20 percent it is basically an overflow for skimmer. Let me know what ya think and i will place my order monday for the one with rio pump but want to see what you think about prefilter overflow attachment.

Thanks for the time to help
Darrick

I can't speak from experience on the filter box, but I can give my opinion on it.

Protiens raise to the waters surface and with hang on the back skimmers the pump which pulls the water into the skimmer is 4 to 6 inches under the surface. So I can see where that would help as it gets the water off the top, 20% thats debatable and I don't know, but it should help to some extent. Water flow in your tank especially at the water surface could make that 20% higher or lower.

I would buy it just because I hate the look of pumps in my tank and will do anything to hide them..... You could always add it on later also.

BTW was just searching around... I know nothing about the below vendor, but could save yourself probably 8-15 dollars over marine depot thru them.

http://www.seatechaquariums.com/Pro...Path=T0&ID=2308&RequestID=5/1/2006+7:52:47+PM

Keep us posted.

hey french, I run a remora pro on my 58 gallon frag tank, with a rio1500. it does great, I had a prism several years ago and hated it. it was imposible to adjust, one day nothing the next day full of water. the remora is the best for hang on back skimmers. I dont use the prefilter box, but it probly would help if you wanted to get the most bang out of your skimmer. but as bkv said it can be bought seperate at a later date if you felt it was necesary. the collection cup comes off so easy, you dont have to turn anything off or disconect anything, just lift up- pour out - rinse- and set back down. you can adjust to get wet or dry foam and it doesnt change from day to day. anyway it would be the best choice. good luck

i have the remora with the prefilter box..with the filter box you get a little more skimmate and no bubbles. the only drawback to the prefilter box is that it is sorta bulky. now on to the seaclone, maybe a bottle rocket launcher would suit its purpose better. the prizm ive had no experience with except my neighbor has to watch it like a hawk cause his seems to want to overflow on occasion. the coralife skimmers are very good if you want to hang it on a sump but for as on the back of the main tank it is a pain.. just my :twocents: and i hope it helps you decide on a hob skimmer. oh! and on a side note, since the remora uses a spray injector it can seem noisy at times...to quiet it down a little bit all you have to do is wet a paper towel with saltwater and place it over the spray injection chamber :)

Last edited:
thanks for advice but i ordered the remora with pre skim box i got the remora pro with rio 1400. After talking to brandon about and reading alot of reviews about it does sound like best deal in my price range. shouldn't be to bulky in my aquarium i got a 75 gallon and my glass on back of tank is black so shouldn't be bad will see i will try with and without see how well it does.

Back