going tomorrow

reefer2b

Reefing newb
to my lfs to talk to a guy there about what tanks they have. I've gone to all the bigger fish only stores now it's the lfs/pet store guys turn. I've talked with him briefly before and he seems like a really nice guy and not pushy about a sell. He's more interested in making sure you get what you want/need.
Before I head out though I'm hoping to have a pretty good idea of what I want.
Reefing is all new to me since it wasn't really done when I last ventured into sw fish. I'm thinking of mainly fish with a few of the soft corals that can be supported with florescent lighting. Definately need 2 clowns. Nemo and Marlin, other fish are optional depending on the size of the tank I get. Minimum 30G. I also don't plan on getting really aggressive fish, I've done that.
I plan on using LS and a combo of base rock and LR. From what I've read you use 1-2lbs of rock per gallon? Since I'm going to have the LR I'm not sure what'd be best in the way of a filter. I plan on getting a skimmer since that seems to be a good idea and power heads for air-flow. It seems I'm missing something but am not sure what. After days of reading though I might be just over thinking too.

I think the main things you need to plan for in your setup are:

1. sump/refugium
2. protein skimmer
3. lighting
4. patience

I planned for a couple weeks before I even thought about buying my tank and stand and then when I did that, I made sure to consider how big of a sump/refugium I could get in the stand.

After that, considered how the setup would be plumbed (pump size/flow rate/etc)...and what type of powerhead was needed inside the tank (I am a HUGE fan of the new Koralia pumps for inside the tank).

Lighting was probably the easiest thing for me...just picked out the light system I wanted and waited for it to arrive (while I was building my sump/refugium and plumbing the system). Make sure you get a really good protein skimmer...the lighting system and protein skimmer are no items to "skimp" on if you know what I mean...you can find good equipment out there for a decent price but don't let the price tag dictate what you get because these two items are really important.

Patience is the most important aspect of this hobby I'm finding, the decision to rush into something will almost invariably result in you wishing you would have done something else after its too late...or rushing to get inhabitants in your tank before its completely and properly cycled.

I'm not worried about patience on the inhabitant end, it's the wanting to get started and waiting to get started that get me.

I'm not worried about patience on the inhabitant end, it's the wanting to get started and waiting to get started that get me.
Be patient with the "wanting to get started" part as well :) Ask lots of questions on this forum...you will get GREAT advice like I did when I started putting my together 3 weeks ago.

I've been toying with the idea since before Christmas. My husband was going to get me one for Christmas but got me a van instead. So now I'm using my own play money to get it going. I've been researching for a few weeks and finally decided I liked this site best, since it covers all aspects of sw tanks not just reefs.

Great advice JB.
You can get by without a sump.But its a great place to hide stuff like skimmers and heaters.Plus it gives you more water volume.You can also get by without a refugium.A lot of folks run a fuge,but there is also a lot of that dont.
If you even think you'd like to set up a reef,go a head and invest in a good set of T-5 lights.That way you wont be sorry that you just bought the low powered light strip.
Also go with the biggest tank you can afford and have room for.And dont forget the skimmer and test kits.
While your at it,get a refractometer instead of a hydrometer.That will save you a lot of head aches down the road.
I'll hush now.

the only thing I will add is that many of us run some kind of carbon from time to time to make the water sparkle. You can do that with a HOB filter if you do not have a sump. I run carbon 24/7 others do not recommend it. Up to you. I like having a HOB filter (sump may be better, but more expensive) because of having mechanical filtration (a sponge of some kind to stop larger particles from floating around) in addition to placing carbon in it.

-Doc

Its really all about budget Reefer.You can go as simple as live rock,skimmer and powerheads or into something more expensive like a sump/fuge with skimmer.The only thing I can 100% endorse is the live rock,a good skimmer and circulation pumps.IMO,if you feel this is a hobby you want to stick with than get at least a 55g.More water volume helps with water stability.

Good luck and happy shopping.

I just measured and there is really only one place that I could put a 4ft tank in my room. Unless I want it a room that no-one goes into. I just have to decide if it's a good place. IE - we have a basement and I need to make sure there's adequate support underneath.
Would LR, skimmer, pumps and HOB be adequate?
I agree with the T-5 lights that is what I was thinking. I could at least get soft corals.

I just measured and there is really only one place that I could put a 4ft tank in my room. Unless I want it a room that no-one goes into. I just have to decide if it's a good place. IE - we have a basement and I need to make sure there's adequate support underneath.
Would LR, skimmer, pumps and HOB be adequate?
I agree with the T-5 lights that is what I was thinking. I could at least get soft corals.

with T-5 lighting you can have more than just softies. LPS, Clams, SPS, etc are all possible. LR, skimmer, powerheads and HOB is perfect. If your basement is cement, you will be fine to place as big a tank as you want there. Up to you. I wouldn't place any bigger than a 90 on a main floor or upstairs

-Doc

If your basement is cement, you will be fine to place as big a tank as you want there. Up to you. I wouldn't place any bigger than a 90 on a main floor or upstairs

-Doc

I meant I want to be sure there is a wall or some support in the basement under were I plan to put the tank. It can only go on the main floor my basement is unfinished and full of hubby's car stuff :mrgreen:

You can have an awesome reef with the things you listed.

Guess that means I'm figuring it out OK then.

I was so surprised when I went into the LFS and saw all the corals. It's been many, many years since I've gone into an actual FS. I had no idea that it has become so hmmm - mainstream in tanks.

Guess that means I'm figuring it out OK then.

I was so surprised when I went into the LFS and saw all the corals. It's been many, many years since I've gone into an actual FS. I had no idea that it has become so hmmm - mainstream in tanks.

Plus you get all the support of all the great folks on this site.:Cheers:

I would recommend that you get a VERY good protein skimmer if you are not going to have a sump/refugium...sometimes people "skimp" on spending some money in this area and regret it in the future (don't go out and buy a cheapo "Sea Clone" protein skimmer for instance)

Here's a post (last one on the page) in the "I wish I would have..." thread I started a couple weeks back:

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/reef-talk/11741-i-wish-i-would-have-thread-3.html

I'll keep that in mind. I don't mind spending money on things like that.
The guy I went to talk to yesterday was late coming in so I didn't get to meet with him. I went to petsmart just to check out their tanks. There were to that I liked. One was an oceanic 40G with a bio-wheel in the hood, I don't know much about those. I don't know how'd I replace the lights with the t-5 though since their part of the canopy. They had another 46G that was low and deep I liked that shape of tank. I wasn't feeling well so my shopping trip was cut short.

Hoods with built in lights are for freshwater. And it's near impossible to replace them with lighting sufficient for a reef. You'd just end up throwing out the hood. Save money by buying just a tank and stand, and skipping the hood altogether.

I agree with avoiding the whole build in hood thing. most of us don't have hoods anyway. takes too much work when I want to put my hands in the tank

-Doc

Back