Goniopora Corals, hard or easy?

BL1

Last time I went to my LFS, they had 3 huge colonies of gonioporas, for sale. He recommended them to me and I'd like to get them, I thought they were very cool looking. But, I came home first and googled them and on 3reefs and RC they all say that Goniopora won't live longer than a year. Is this true? Are they that hard of a coral to take care of, any particular reason?

They are very hard to keep long-term. Most usually only live for a few months. No one is quite sure why... Out of all the colors, the reds are supposed to be the hardiest, but even then, it's rare to see one that has been around for longer than a few months. They do need to be target fed frequently, and they are slow eaters.

Thanks Dennis, I probably should have seen that coming with this crowd

thanks Biff, I think he said he's had them in his tank for a while now, I'll have to ask but that sucks. I'd probably/definitely end up killing them then

Oh negativity,negativity!

My favorite coral of all time.Now that we know there feeding requirements it is getting easier but is still a high maintenance difficult coral.The green are usually the hardest to keep.They will need to be fed several times each week with plankton-mysis,cyclopeeze and my favorite coral food,Reef Roids.Like Biff said the reds and the purples are somewhat easier to keep.Keep clowns away and keep the tentacles from getting buried in the sand.They are susceptible to brown jelly disease.I have a green and red for a little over a year.I hope they make the transfer over to my new system.

Well, I guess these corals are out for me, for now at least. I definitely will try them at least once sometime down the road though, I love the red ones

I have an Alveapora that has been doing well. Atleast up until a few days ago when I found my calcium at 290. Seems like a pretty easy coral to care for if your someone like me and you always have your arm in your tank.

I have had 5-6 of them in the last 3 years. All of which have died within 6 months. Some would do well and seem to be even growing, only to die over a period if two weeks. The green ones seem to last a bit longer. I have spot feed them each and every time with various foods, but they never appear to eat from what I can tell. I purchased my last one on Easter and now I'm just waiting to see how long it will live.

I consider them extremely hard and could not recommend them to anyone in good faith.

I have had 5-6 of them in the last 3 years. All of which have died within 6 months... I purchased my last one on Easter and now I'm just waiting to see how long it will live... I consider them extremely hard and could not recommend them to anyone in good faith.

But you keep buying them anyways??? :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone, and thanks for that great article Capt.
I think I may try some Goniopora some day but def. not yet. Alveopora or pipe organ corals instead, they seem to be easier from what I've been reading and they look similar to some of the Gonio's I've seen.

Diver's Den actually has 2 nice one's right now
Aussie Alveopora Coral
detailed_image.cfm

If you're looking for a gonio, a good bet might be to try to find an aquacultured variety. Like a lot of things, they tend to be a little hardier. I've had a yellow aquacultured one and SO FAR, it's been doing well with feedings of cyclopeeze 3-4 times a week.

Thanks Alex, I've actually read that, but the Alveoporas and pipe organ are still supposed to be hardier than even the aquacultured gonios. After my tanks been established for a little while I plan on trying the aquacultured ones though.

Back