Goniopora (?) retracted

RockStacker

Reefing newb
At first I thought this was a branching alveopora.
But I was told recently that this might actually be a gonipiopora (sub-massive growth form) because each polyp has more than 12 tentacles.

It is difficult to get an exact count, but from my pictures I could count between 18-20 tentacles per polyp. Maybe it is 24 tentacles, and I just cant see the rest or are retracted.

Anyway, after having the LED intensity at 40% blue / 20% white for a few months, I decided to ramp up the lights a little more to 50% blue / 30% white.
A couple of days after doing that, the goniopora retracted and barely extends any polyps.
As a precaution, I toned down the lights again to 40% / 20%.

This is what it looked like prior to ramping up the lights.

This is what it looks like today. It has been like this for almost 3 days.

Could the slight increase in light intensity cause this?
Or is this the dreaded rapid decline problem with gonioporas after their internal time bomb pops?

This is what it looked like back in November 2012 some time after I first put it in the tank.

Compared to this oldest picture that I have, it looks like the coral was growing and branching out. The original bald spots that it came with have also since been covered by new growth.
So it seemed happy until this latest increase in light intensity.

I wonder if the previous setting was its limit?
No other parameters in the tank seem off:

Specific Gravity: 1.025
ph: 7.8
Ca: 400ppm
Alk: 7.2dKH
Mag: 1400ppm
Temp: 81F (it has been warm lately, but not that much higher than the preset 78F)
Nitrates: Less than detectable per my test kit - I know they are there :).

Have you been spot feeding? If not, take a 2L bottle and cut the end off of it. Place it over top of the coral, and shoot some reef snow or something like that into the bottle. Leave it in there for like a half an hour or so so each of the polyps has a chance at some food. Do this twice a week. If proper care is taken for them, that whole "ticking time bomb" thing doesn't happen.

I don't spot feed the corals.
When I feed the fish, food bits flow into the corals.

This one actually has a more aggressive feeding response than my orange paly, and grabs things as big as mysis and brine shrimp.

Mine did the same thing, basically all closed up for about 3 weeks:pooh::pooh:
but over the last three days its started to open up again:^:

I hope it comes back for you. My only suggestion would be to get your alk and pH up a bit, but it is within acceptable range as long as it hasn't dropped suddenly.

I hope it comes back for you. My only suggestion would be to get your alk and pH up a bit, but it is within acceptable range as long as it hasn't dropped suddenly.

Yeah, the pH and Alk seem to be locked at those levels. I would rather have those than subject my tank to roller coaster parameters.

I am dosing (below saturation) kalkwasser via timed aqualifter to supplement Ca and Alk, and manually dosing Mg as needed.

I have tried the BRS 2-part solution, but unless I have a sophisticated method of controlling the delivery, the Ca, Alk and Mg end up with very wide swings.
Maybe in the future when I can afford proper dosing pumps I will give that a shot again.

I just don't want to dose other stuff right now and end up fouling up everything else - unless absolutely needed.

After a few days of setting the lights back to the 40% / 20% setting, the polyps are again starting to extend.
Right now they are only half as long as what they used to be, but I am taking it as a good sign.

I guess this particular coral prefers the light to be no brighter than that.

I thought about moving it lower in the tank, but the flow seems to be perfect at its current location.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmN-8kRA4bw"]Goniopora - YouTube[/ame]

Back