Good deal?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Hey guys, so I've been thinking about upgrading to a 180g tank - mostly because it will let me have more fish that I want (pink-tailed trigger, larger tang, one of the moderate sized angels). A local guy that I've gotten some corals from is selling off his 150g + stand + 55g sump w/ baffles for $250 total. There isn't a canopy on it, but for that price I could have one built. What do you think? Is this a good deal? Would a 150g be large enough for what I want? The primary difference between the 180 and 150 is that a 150 is 18" wide, a 180 is 2 feet wide.

Okay guys, so if I do go ahead and get this tank, I'm trying to figure out just how much its going to cost me to do the upgrade in terms of other equipment. I know I definitely need a third AI unit right off the bat ($400 unless I can find someone selling theirs after the holiday for less). Here's what I currently have in my 90g for other equipment:

300w JBJ titanium heater w/ external controller and probe
150w cheapo glass back-up heater in the sump
2 1400gph hydor koralias
1 1250gph hydor korlia
2 750 gph hydor korlia
500-600gph sicce return pump
Reef Octopus XS skimmer rated for 200g

Will this equipment be sufficient for a 150 for now? If not, which pieces would I need to upgrade immediately and which can I hold off on upgrading for several months until I can afford it?

I think that equipment should be fine....Might want to increase the return pump size in the future...but for now seems good.

Went to see the 150g today. The stand is super tall - 44 inches, and then the tank starts after that - 70 inches total from the floor to the top of the tank. I'm not a super tall person, so am trying to decide how big of an issue this will be for me. The stand is mostly 2x4 construction with stained plywood covering it and trim. You wouldn't know it isn't a nice solid wood stand from far away, but it does need to be restained and parts of the trim need to be sanded down. I'm thinking if I take it that I might try to shorten the stand by about 6 inches. The tank has 2 overflows that are about 6 inches in from each of the sides. I kinda wish they were corner overflows instead, but not a huge deal, though it will make it difficult to fit my existing arch structure (which is epoxied together). Overall the tank appears to be in decent condition - painted black on the back, some coralline growth on the overflows, some scratches on the glass, but I could probably buff them out. The guy bleached the tank today and that concerned me a little - how hard is it to get bleach out of a tank - if I soak it with dechlorinator would that do the trick? And how hard is it to clean overflows? These are siliconed in and haven't been cleaned in 5 years. I can replace the plumbing but the overflow is a two-part overflow (there's a smaller panel inside the main one), and I have no idea how to get in there to scrub it really well. Any advice? What do you guys think, is this deal still worth it?

Yes. I wouldn't mess with altering the stand -- especially for only 6 inches. Buy a step stool and learn to love it. :lol: The stand does seem unusually tall so I wonder why they did that (probably just to get more space underneath it?)

Bleach is no biggie -- filling the tank up and adding dechlorinator should do the trick. Bleach also breaks down in sunlight so you could leave the tank outside for a couple days when you bring it home.

To clean the inside of the overflows, I'd get a scrub pad attached to a long handle (they sell them at Petco and PetSmart) and just do the best you can with it. I wouldn't sweat it if it's gunky back there and you don't get it all -- there will probably be stuff encrusted on the overflows that you'll never get off.

Yeah, the stand is ridiculously tall. I can barely reach the top of the tank to feed without standing on a stool. I was thinking I'd make a canopy for it, but after seeing it yesterday I think the canopy would come close to touching the ceiling. The guy likes it because its eye level for him (and he's a taller guy) rather than having to look down on it like most tanks. Because my tank is in my office, I'm sitting down most of the day and so my tank now is at eye level for me. With this new tank, I'd definitely have to stand or crank my head up to look at the tank.

For 250 bucks, thats worth it. Sounds like an awesome deal. I have seen empty tanks that size for 300-500 bucks here in Texas on craigs list. Even with my 55 G I have to have something to stand on to reach to drop corals into the tank or pick stuff off the bottom. Good luck.

Man too bad your not closer in my area. I just got a 150g it doesn't have a sump but that would be $70 (55g @ a dollar sale and $15 for baffles).

Does this mean your giving up your reef tank?

Last edited:
Thanks Angela! Good info to know, and I have a costco card! I have a 2-step one now that I use for my 90, but am going to need a 4-step one for this tank.

I emailed the guy and told him I want the tank, though can't get it until after the holidays. Waiting to hear back from him now. I also talked to my colleague about it and it looks like I am going to have to either modify the stand or build a new stand because my office has a requirement that I can't have anything higher than 18" from the ceiling. I think I'll need to cut the stand down significantly or just build a new one. Given that the existing stand is 2x4s, I don't think it will be too hard to shorten it. My favorite LFS also makes stands and canopies, so I might get a quote from them on how much it would cost to shorten the stand. Anyhow, I'm getting excited about it, even though its still going to be several months before I do the change over!

Well, I might not get it afterall. He has someone else interested and is going to see if that person can take it before the holidays. I guess I'm taking an "if it was meant to be" attitude - if the other guy takes it, then I'll just keep looking for something better to come along. If the other guy doesn't, then its mine. Hope I'm doing the right thing....

Looking at a couple of other options - what do you guys think a fair price is to pay for a drilled 180 or drilled 210, no stand?

i know we had a couple of 180s go for $500-600 but that was tank, stand, and sump. you should be able to talk them down a lil from there price also. say something like "how ppl do you know looking for that size tank in this economy?" i def think i would wait for a 180 or something around 24"wide to come along. try build or making a aquascape with only 18" front to back and its small. Dennis i'm sure can back this up. of course this is my $0.02

this is after looking at the 150 i got for free. and looking at a 120g a friend got which is 24" wide. it would be an awesome fowlr tank but not reef.

Definitely a great deal and I'd snag it up. Like it was said, the stand is probably taller because the guy didn't like bending down to look in the tank and is a taller person. I build my own stands for my tanks and I have my 40 gallon on a 47" stand. Kind of a pain to get into especially considering I have a low ceiling but otherwise it's nice not having to stoop down to look in it.

i know we had a couple of 180s go for $500-600 but that was tank, stand, and sump. you should be able to talk them down a lil from there price also. say something like "how ppl do you know looking for that size tank in this economy?" i def think i would wait for a 180 or something around 24"wide to come along. try build or making a aquascape with only 18" front to back and its small. Dennis i'm sure can back this up. of course this is my $0.02

Yeah, my 90g is 18", and the overflows on the 150 I saw were positioned a few inches in from the sides, which reduced the width even more. I'd prefer a 24" tank anyway, and I'm thinking I'll build my own stand if I can find a reasonably priced tank that doesn't have a stand. A couple of people have listed a 180, and 1 guy has listed a 210 for decent prices but they come with lots of stuff I don't need, so I'm trying to find out what they want for just the tank. Hoping I can talk them in to a couple hundred for the tank only and then go from there! Petco should be having its $1/gallon sale coming up after the first of the year again so I can snag a 55g sump from there if I don't find a deal on one.

Back