good lighting system.

3 to 4 watts per gallon is the minimum, you would be able to keep some, but not all corals under that. If you want SPS or anemones, you will have to get more wpg.

By my calculations that light comes to over 7 wpg for a 54 gallon tank. I would think that could handle anything you want to keep. That light looks very familiar btw. I have one almost exactly like it but with a 150w MH instead of the 250. I've been told I can easily keep anything under mine. Hope this helps some.

I agree with VA,Those lights should pretty much give you the choice to stock whatever you like.If you have a center brace,you may not like the shadow it leaves since the bulb is in the middle.Since the MH is centered and PCs staggered I would keep softies and LPS to the far sides and bottom half,.SPS nearer the center.

Hope this helps....remember to post pics,me like pics.
Good Luck

Reeffreak is totally right about that center brace and shadow thing. Very annoying shadow and I had forgotten about that. I ended up cutting out my center brace and building a custom brace. If I had thought of that ahead of time I would have gotten a differant design with 2 bulbs vice one.

Just remember to keep that light a little higher as the halide will put off alot of heat and could make your tank a little too warm if your not careful.

Light system you are looking at is adequate for most corals you would want to keep, and as others stated, consider any top braces causing shawdows, also, keep light at least 4 inches from braces if directly above. good luck.

I'd agree that you should keep this light off of the water. With only one MH over 36" you will have some "dark" areas about 6" from the edges of the tank. Most MH reflectors put out a 2' x 2' spread but if you elevate this you could get just a little bit more spread. It's a nice fixture though, I just got the 24" one for this little custom tank i just got.

Back