Good news / bad news

messiah023

Reefing newb
So, I'm elbow deep in the tank yesterday and I hear a "splat".
Stupid wrasse went for a skydiving expedition behind the entertainment center.

After a few frantic seconds of hunting, I grabbed him and tossed him back in.
I've been lazy......he hasn't jumped since I got him a few years ago....guess he got a wild hair....

Speaking of hair, so into the tank with him went a big dust bunny from behind the entertainment center...who the heck cleans back there anyway.

So I reach in and go to grab the dust bunny and "click".....broke a head of the torch coral off!! :frustrat:

Anyway....I took the "frag" and moved it to a new rock to start growing...
I was planning to frag the thing anyway...just hadn't gotten around to it, but didn't want to do it quite this way.

Anyway, for the heck of it, I checked my calcium & dKH. I thought it was odd that the thing would just snap off like that. Well, as I said, I've been lazy...haven't taken the test kits out in months.....just kinda "eyeballed" it...

All the parameters looked good, but my dKH was a tad low and the calcium was about 320 (very low imo).

I've been dosing for the last two days to get them back up, but do you think the low calcium (maybe for an extended period of time) was the reason the torch head was weak?

Just thought I would share my exciting story! Thanks for letting me tell it.

but do you think the low calcium (maybe for an extended period of time) was the reason the torch head was weak?
No. Once the calcium carbonate skeleton is formed, it doesn't get thinner or weaker because of low ca levels in the tank.

Sounds like a day in the life of my tank.
What generally happens with calcium and bicarbonate,is growth slows down.

Back