Good news for biff,dfrench and everybody else w/ a prizim

bobby

I like to do bad things.
Well to start off I do like my prizim. But why not make it better? I have found a place to mod your prizim, the person who wrote this mod tested it against a css220 and the prizim out preformed the css220. So I will soon be attempting these mods, as soon as I can find the parts, and then report back to you guys on how well it preforms, so maybe if anyone is interestid they can try it. Hope to repot back soon.:D

Definitely! My husband bought me the Prizm a long time ago and is very bitter that it is sitting in one of the spare bedrooms instead of being on the tank. (I bought the Remora Pro myself, so the Prizm is like my evil stepchild that I keep locked up in the basement). Let me know how it goes and post a link to the page, I am willing to try it! Anything is better than it sitting gathering dust like it is now...

were is a link to this mod i have prizm pro deluxe and remora pro both in use and i like both skimmers now i'm excited were is mod at i like to see.

Ok I found the stuff and did the mods, however I did not cut the impellar blades down but everything fit just fine. I turned it on and it looks like there are more bubbles but not a whole lot more. It isnt really foaming yet could be because I washed it out to so I'll let it run for about a week and see if it dose good, and write back to say if it worked good or not. These mods might only work on the pro deluxe though, thats what they were done on originaly, so we'll see.

WOW I just went back into my room to look at the tank and skimmer, and it was already pushing out about 3 to 4 times the foam it did before. WOW. After seeing it at first I was woundering if it was going to faom because at first it didnt now its really pushing it out, a dry foam too. I was not expecting anything for atleast a few hours to a day it really suprised me. But before I give it a recomendation I going to run it for a week to see what its really capable of. Well I'll keep you guys updated in the next few days.

One more update. I left for a while and when I got back it was making noise(the fishing string came apart) So I took it apart and shaved the blades down a very little bit. As soon as I put it on the tank it ran very good with a steady flow of dry foam. The first mesh mod I only tied four knots and tied each knot 2 to 3 times this time I tied 8 knots and each knot 4 times, then pulled alittle at the mesh to see if any part was loose, were it was loose I tied another knot. So far so good if it continues like this I will definetly recomend it. It has improved the performance by over double I would guess 3x more foam. But lets wait untill its time tested. My only concern so far is the mesh mod coming loose again.

I used a razor and kept going over about 3 blades at a time untill I got it evened out and were I thought would be good. The guy who wrote the thread said he used a pair of clipers to do it. I found the clipers harder to use because the blades were to close together and I couldnt fit them in there to cut the blades, however I found the razor knife easy to use. I just checked my prizim again and the pipe was covered in foam so, so far it working very well.

Well here is the 24 hour update. When I redid the mod at about 6:00pm jan 20th I cleaned the collection cup out so I started it over. 24 hours later it is running very well. The collection cup has on 1 half 1 inch of skimmate and on the other half 1.5 inch of skimmate, with the riser tube still covered in foam. The new skimmate is almost twice as dark but not quit. So far I its working very good.

Also I think I've figured out a better mesh. I took my hat off and noticed the thin mesh on the back, so if I can find a mesh like that at a fabric shop it might work better, and a nother plus is, I wouldnt think youd have to shave the blades down because its a lot thinner than a scrub pad. Just a thought for anybody who wanted to try this and didnt want to shave the blades down.

which prizm you got, i got the big hang on prizm pro deluxe model for up to 300 gallons, honestly regular cleaning it works real well it has a big collection cup and i empty a full cup every week, and it is dark green. but there is a guy in reef central slash forum who does lots of skimmer mods for many types of skimmer everybody goes to him on how to build mods for their own skimmers i will have to ask him about this one.

I have the deluxe model not the pro, however, the mod were fisrt done on the pro by the guy who wrote it. It works great on mine so far. And he said it ran toe to toe with a css220, if not out performing it.

Can you post a picture of the mesh on your hat? I don't know what you're talking about and I am thinking of trying these mods out on mine.

I will have to get a cam so maybe tomarrow. The mesh on my hat is very thin nylon mesh with about 1/8 in holes or so in it, so I would think it would let more air in and chop it up good.

Not quit 48 hour update: Today at 12:00 I had to remove the collection cup for a cleaning the risor tube was competly coverd inside and out with green slime, so I would still say this is working very well. When I emptied it it was about half full so its filling with darker skimate alot faster also. Now the foam did seem to slow some, but I think its because its working so good that it has taken out most of the nutrients. Befroe it would take 3 to 4 days to get the cup that full so far it has taken a day and a half. I'm also going to try and get a cam to take pics of the mods and what I used, also the mesh I think might work better, worth a try anyway.

Sorry guys, I was unable to get a cam today, so maybe tomarrow if I can get ahold of the person.

96 hour update I think. Well so far so good it seems though every 2 days the collection cup gets half full and the riser tube gets covered in gunk and needs a cleaning. I would recomend this mod to anyone who has a prizim. With the mods the performance of this skimmer in the last four days has more than doubled. If anyone else tries these mods please inform me with your progress and the perfomance. Biff are you going to try it? If you do I would really like to know how it stacks up to the remora pro. Sorry no cam yet I havnt even got out of the house today, however as soon as I get one I'll post pics of the mods and everything I bought and used.

Back