Good or Bad: Polyps or something?

amhealy

Reefing newb
Hello everyone. I don't know if I have a problem or not, but there are some things growing all around my tank. The are mostly in clusters, they don't move around, they are stationary. They are small, but growing. Here is a pic of some of the larger ones growing at the base of one of my flowerpot coral: http://www.amhealy.com/aquarium/Coral.jpg

Does anyone know what those are? The other day I turned a rock over and found them growing on the flip side, in a cluster. I have spotted a few here and there in other parts of the tank.

Good or bad??? Thank you!!

Look like sponges to me.Maybe a slight chance its a tunicate.Both harmless.
Is it or something else causing the Goniopora(Goni,Flowerpot) to be retracted near the bottom?

Last edited:
It's a pinapple sponge, they are harmless and good for your tank because there filter feeders. I have these all over my tank on all the rocks, they seem to spread very fast.

i don't think that those sponges are causing the goni(flowerpot) to retract like that. it has to be something else.

kimoy said:
i don't think that those sponges are causing the goni(flowerpot) to retract like that. it has to be something else.

I didn't think it was the sponges either,looks like it could be starving or simply be retracted from being touch.

i think something is touching it. are there any corals close to it that could touch it? if so, you might wanna move it away.

First, thank you everyone for taking time to help me. I didn't know that the retraction was a bad sign. I never noticed that before. What should I do??

I test my water weekly and usually do a 10-gallon water change every weekend.

I did recently lose 2 anenomes. I believe it is because one of them looked large and old, and the other one always looked a little funky..it would sort of shrivel on different parts and almost look burned.

At one time I was probably feeding them too much. Right now I feed the fish 2 or 3 times a day with the Mysus shrimp.

Here is a picture of my tank: http://www.amhealy.com/aquarium/Reef Tank 1.jpg

The goni is in the center of the tank near the bottom, sitting on a rock.

Do goni's not like being on a rock, maybe? It's not by any other corals or anenomes.

What should I do?

Also, I know my iodine level is a little on the low side.

I stopped putting the liquid food in that I was told to buy because someone said I was feeding my corals and anenomes too much because my nitrates were high or something.

bobby said:
It's a pinapple sponge, they are harmless and good for your tank because there filter feeders. I have these all over my tank on all the rocks, they seem to spread very fast.

I'm really glad to know that it's a pineapple sponge and that it's okay for the tank. Even my LFS didn't know what it was.

I'll go do some research, but how does sponge grow in a tank? Where does it come from?

When you get a chance post your parameters and what lights you're running and maybe somebody can help.Iodine isn't important to a Goni as calcium so make sure you check that.Usually when they are starving they receed around the outer fringes.They also need to be spot fed 2-3 times a week.I feed mine cyclopeeze,oyster eggs,and mysis.They are slow eaters so if your flow is to high,you might need to turn off the pumps.Its possible that the anemones that died might of cause the problem.Gonis are susceptible to brown jelly infections so make sure the polyps are able to expand and if you ever decide to put it on the sandbed make sure none of the polyps get buried.

Sponges are usually hitchhikers that come on the live rocks people buy.They are filter feeders getting there nutrient from the water.

Post parameters(ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,PH,calcium,akalinity,SG,temp.)would help,Good Luck
Here's a good website for more info on Gonis....Goniopora.org:::Goniopora Reference Web Site

reeffreak said:
When you get a chance post your parameters and what lights you're running and maybe somebody can help.Iodine isn't important to a Goni as calcium so make sure you check that.Usually when they are starving they receed around the outer fringes.They also need to be spot fed 2-3 times a week.I feed mine cyclopeeze,oyster eggs,and mysis.They are slow eaters so if your flow is to high,you might need to turn off the pumps.Its possible that the anemones that died might of cause the problem.Gonis are susceptible to brown jelly infections so make sure the polyps are able to expand and if you ever decide to put it on the sandbed make sure none of the polyps get buried.

Sponges are usually hitchhikers that come on the live rocks people buy.They are filter feeders getting there nutrient from the water.

Post parameters(ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,PH,calcium,akalinity,SG,temp.)would help,Good Luck
Here's a good website for more info on Gonis....Goniopora.org:::Goniopora Reference Web Site

Thanks. I'm going to do all the testing this afternoon. I'll also post about the lights and all that.

Flower pot corals are notoriously difficult to keep... Some debate whether they should even be sold for the hobby. Once you post your water parameters we can probably help figure out what's going on.

they are hard coral to keep but seen many other reefers who keep them successfully and they get very large in there tanks, matter a fact i have one buddy who has a black clown fish that host his and you cannot go no were near it in his tank without getting attacked. The tanks i seen them in were big systems with 100 gallon sumps big calc reactors, skimmers, auto topoff systems.

I think Gonioporas are getting easier to care for today.People understand there needs better than they did in the past.It seems like the stigma about them will never die.IMO,if you find a healthy specimen its survival rate is good as any other LPS.

Those little sponges are normal to a new system,They show that its actually maturing like it should.
Cant comment on the Goni,cause I never tryed them.

Back