Good place to order rock?

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
My lfs don't seem to have much in the ways of live/base rock. I picked up a 6lb piece but it really doesn't look alive at all for almost $9/lb. They don't really have much to offer...

So I was wondering if you have any recommendations on where to order some rock. I live 30 minutes from the gulf, the urge to go hunting is overwhelming...But I figure that's porbably not the best option.

I was also looking at texas holy rock(as that's basically in my backyard). But fear of metals leaching their way into my tank is keeping me away from that.

So good places to order, or any other available options I might have I'd really appreciate.

I think I'd go hunting but I don't know what the laws are there. I ordered my rock from petsolutions.com It was very expensive though.

I think I'd go hunting but I don't know what the laws are there. I ordered my rock from petsolutions.com It was very expensive though.

My only issue is that the majority of my local stuff is going to be growing on granite. Also, how much would I need to worry about parasites and whatnot?

I just can't get over the price of this stuff. I could understand if it actually had some pretty stuff on it..but it looks like someone got base rock and stuck it in the tank as I walked in.. And I'd be happy to pay for base rock if it was 2-3 bucks a pound, but no one has any...

Also i found this place called oceanproaquatics.com and they have fiji island live rock right now in a 50lb lot box for $99.00 because they are moving so supplies are limited but man thats a awesome price i think. I already have a box coming, so im pretty axious.

I have got my rock from ebay before, and it comes in surprisingly good condition. Search live rock, your can get it for around 2.59 a pound (not including shipping). I know one seller located in Florida that probably make it cheaper on shipping, next day air is available and somewhat reasonable. I also found good deal on Petco.com with free shipping on orders over $60. I always get fiji, some of the coolest looking rock.

ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiji-Live-Rock-Premium-Grade-By-the-Pound_W0QQitemZ190310266099QQihZ009QQcategoryZ117437QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

petco: http://www.petco.com/product/101439/Live-Rock-Fiji-Premium.aspx

Last edited:
If was ordering rock online.I'd have to spend the extra cash and go with Tampa Bay Saltwater.
When they ship,the rocks not just damp when you get it.Its wet.Its wet enough that a lot of times theres actually live fish hiding in the rock.

What type of rock would you guys recommend for my tank? I have a 47g tall tank. What's good for stacking? What I really want to shoot for is the back of my tank to be an almost solid wall, but I want there to be plenty of nooks and crannies for my fish to hide in.

Thanks a bunch for alll the sites, there are sooo many places to choose from.

Also, if your LFS is good, often they can special order good rock for you, sometimes at a reduced rate from their normal stock. So you might ask them, too. I'm personally a big proponent of supporting the good LFS's, and I don't buy anything online. :)

Back