Good Price for a 55 setup?

claq50

Reefing newb
I found a 55 gallon set up that includes new sump, wet/dry filter, uv sterilizer, stand, cleaning equipment, hood, and protein skimmer for $175. No leaks, unit is new and never been used. Only thing is that it has no lighting at this time. Ive been looking for a larger tank then my 10 gallon corner tank and wanted to do a 75 or 90, but this seems like its a pretty good deal. Let me know what you think.

Thats not a bad price.But if you'd rather have a 75 or 90,then save the money and put it towards one of those.

I agree with Yote. You'll only want a bigger one in a year, trust me. I got my 55 at the beginning of the year and now I'm looking for a 120.:mrgreen:

What would be the issues with the Uv? I was lead to believe that they are a good thing to have to keep free floating algee and bacteria down.

they are good and bad. some people dont use them because if they are on the return side of the water they kill pods also or anything the goes through them so they kill the good and the bad things. some people run them with the drain side of the tank and they will have less good things die by doing that. many people have fuges that supply the tank with live pods so by having a uv they will die before they get to the tank.

The free floating bacteria in the tank is good -- it's what keeps your water quality high. So, while the UV will kill algae spores and parasites, it will also kill the good bacteria and plankton that many fish and corals feed off of. It's my opinion that a UV should only be used if you are having a problem, i.e. during an ich outbreak or an algae outbreak. It shouldn't be run 24/7.

Back