Good starter inverts?

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
What are some very effective and hardy starter crabs/shrimp that I could introduce to my new tank in a week or two (3 weeks running now). I work at Petco and we pretty much have the standard stuff....peppermint shrimp, emerald crabs, sally lightfoots, cleaner shrimp, spiny lobsters etc.
And before anyone cries NOOOEES PETCO! We've actually been told we have one of the best aquatic departments in the entire company from the higher-up managers, thanks to our fish guy.

Thanks! :D,
Duncan

What are some very effective and hardy starter crabs/shrimp that I could introduce to my new tank in a week or two (3 weeks running now). I work at Petco and we pretty much have the standard stuff....peppermint shrimp, emerald crabs, sally lightfoots, cleaner shrimp, spiny lobsters etc.
And before anyone cries NOOOEES PETCO! We've actually been told we have one of the best aquatic departments in the entire company from the higher-up managers, thanks to our fish guy.

Thanks! :D,
Duncan

Out of what you listed, emeralds, and the cleaner would be best. Peppermints are OK, but I find them boring, and you run the risk of getting a camel unless you have a sharp eye. Sally lightfoots can become aggressive. Lobsters will be aggressive, and are not a good choice for a community tank.

any of those that you mentioned would be good. What is your plan for your tank? Lobsters are probably not the best choice they will get big and eat things, as well as they like to dig holes.

Peppermints are more as a maint worker, they hide during the day most of the time. Sally lightfoots are great and usually always out. as pack mentioned when they become older they can become agressive but so will an emerald crab.

of course hermit crabs are a good choice.

I second the opinion to stay away from sally lightfoots. They are predatorial and will take out your fish. I had a pair (back when I didn't know any better), and I watched them catch and eat fish after fish until I was finally able to get rid of them.

What is your plan for your tank?

For the first few months I'm just doing fish and inverts. Then eventually I'll start doing corals when I'm really comfortable with my water conditions.

Right now I have about 40 lbs of LR and I'm getting more, bit by bit. I think I'll actually get a peppermint, as I'm hearing a lot of people say they're good maintenence. And I actually do have 2 tiny emerald crabs in the tank already, they were hiding in a chunk of LR I bought.

Im kind of partial to the cleaner shrimp. There are not very many things in which you can handle that you put in your aquarium. My clean shrimp will jump up on my hand every time I stick my hand in the tank.

Back