Gooey purple stuff (don't think it's slime algae)

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
I bought a bunch of rock today and while I was re-aquascaping I turned a rock around and there was this....gooey stuff on one of my rocks. It looks exactly like coralline from any more than a foot away but it has the texture of an anemone or something, kind of hard to explain. It's just in one patch about 2 inches in diameter and it was right next to a powerhead that I have blowing through the inside of my rock wall. It's somewhat pourous in spots and has these little bumps underneath the gooey film. I was going to disect it but I don't want to potentially unleash some kind of crazy parasite nest. At first I thought it might be like early stages of coralline or something but I can't find anything on the interweb about gooey coralline.

When the wife gets home tonight I'll try to get a picture with her camera.

I have a little 1" square of that stuff. Have no idea what it is. I just left it alone too. It's not as soft as an anemone, more like a soft rubberized stuff. It's weird.

I've got some in my tank too, and it hasn't appeared to do any harm as it's been there for some time...almost looks like my rock is trying to grow skin or something, haha. But I would go with Yote on this one saying it's some sort of encrusting sponge.

its probably a sponge of some sort? at the AQ we get stuff like that from time to time in our splash zone and i was told it was a type of encrusting sponge (i can't remember the name but i'll be there tuesday)...

Back