Gorgonian lovers out there?

Chris in SC

Reefing newb
I have recently fallen in love with the Gorg group. I only have 3, but am planning several more purchases. I have watched mine grow and sway for about 8 months now. I have only photosynthetic species, and have been toying with the idea of giving NPS Gorgs a try. I have a few other NPS corals in a separate tank, but that tank isn't mature enough for NPS Gorgs quite yet. Any other suggestions on care would be most welcome. I prefer experience over textbook.

Try your hand at culturing phyto and zoo plankton, that way you'll have a constant supply of food.

When I kept them, I fed the tank heavily with plankton 2-3 times a week turning the skimmer off for a couple hours each time about an hour before my lights turned off.

I have a pretty good population of mixed 'Pods in the tank now, so that they would have a chance to multiply well and have been feeding them phytoplankton but need to use one of my 'sittin around not doin' much' tanks for a remote refugium of sorts. You are absolutely right- thanks!
Why, may I ask, did you get out of Gorgs?

I have had great luck with my candelabra but my red finger is hanging on by a thread. I love gorgonians also so I would love to hear your experience and what works for you.

Really? Wow. I thought Candelabras were supposed to be hard and the Red Finger easy to maintain. What kind of set up do you have them in?

Candelabras are photosynthetic, the finger gorgs, or any of the bright colored ones, arent. And I wouldnt count on having a large pod population to feed your gorg, the pods arent going to crawl up on the feeder tentacles and just let themselves be eaten. I would get used the idea of culturing photoplankton or rotifers for them if you want to keep them.

I have had my candelabra for about a year

4u5Ad.jpg

I got the red finger about 6 months ago, you can see it in the right corner, its all shriveled and only has like 3 polyps that ever come out. Its really sad :(

vShxa.jpg

I do feed with microvore but I didnt target feed I just put it in the power head stream. I guess if I decide to try another one I would target feed.

I target feed my PS Gorgs now and will be doing the same with the NPS. I feed Marine Snow, Cyclopeeze, Coral Frenzy, instant and fresh hatched Nauplii, mixed Pods, Krill Fines, crushed pellet, and will have a standing order for a phyto/zoo plank mix I learned about last week. I want to check into oyster eggs- heard much about them being good. Have you ever tried them?

Your Candelabra looks more like Corky Finger to me ( not saying it IS, just saying it looks like it to me ). The only Candelabras that I've seen were the purple guys with very intricate fingers in kind of curlicue shapes. Maybe the one pic I saw was mis-labeled. Whatever it is- it is obviously healthy and happy! And is that a Feather Gorg above it? Nice tank Ambersunrise!

I have a yellow finger gorg and a Orange tree. They are both giving me a hard time. Algae loves to grow on them and I frequently have to dust them off. The Orange tree is a goner I think bc of the algae. It extends it polyps and eats but its just being overtaken with algae. It's really sad, I love that peice but its prlly better left in the ocean. I'm thinking of getting a Photosynthetic one. The yellow finger is doing okay I soppose. Same prob with algae just not as bad on that one. The polyps don't come out all the time so its hard to feed it.

I have a yellow finger gorg and a Orange tree. They are both giving me a hard time. Algae loves to grow on them and I frequently have to dust them off. The Orange tree is a goner I think bc of the algae. It extends it polyps and eats but its just being overtaken with algae. It's really sad, I love that peice but its prlly better left in the ocean. I'm thinking of getting a Photosynthetic one. The yellow finger is doing okay I soppose. Same prob with algae just not as bad on that one. The polyps don't come out all the time so its hard to feed it.

You know, now that I think about it my red finger really seemed to go downhill when it was in the seahorse tank and I had that hair algae problem for a few months. I was constantly picking it off the tips which ended up shriveling completely.

You know, now that I think about it my red finger really seemed to go downhill when it was in the seahorse tank and I had that hair algae problem for a few months. I was constantly picking it off the tips which ended up shriveling completely.

Yea it seems like they are really senstive to algae and have to have a lot of flow but not directly at it or the flesh can get ripped off. Finicky little corals..

I have a pretty good population of mixed 'Pods in the tank now, so that they would have a chance to multiply well and have been feeding them phytoplankton but need to use one of my 'sittin around not doin' much' tanks for a remote refugium of sorts. You are absolutely right- thanks!
Why, may I ask, did you get out of Gorgs?

I got out completely out about 4 years back, due to starting a family, school, and three moves in as many years. I'm also prefer SPS.

Do you have any algae eating critters in there? Man o man- I want an Orange Tree one day when I grow up! <G> I have 2 Yellow Fingers on order from my Fav online store. My first foray into NPS Gorgs. They can go hang out with the Fat Head Dendros and the Neon Green Nepthia. The other 6 on the order are going into my 75 reef- I'm Gorg'n it out! Been waiting to do that for a good while now. They will join my Sea Rods and Purple Feather. ( Got the feeling that I'm about to become the local 'go to guy' for Gorg frags. ) I love my PS Gorgs- easy as it gets if the tank is mature.

Hmm really? I ordered it from Tampa Bay saltwater LOL

Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock - Price List

Anyway I have heard a lot about oyster eggs lately also. I just got a really nice flower pot which from what I have read seem to respond to target feeding oyster eggs really well. I was going to get some this week.

Hey- let me know how they do and if they seem appropriate to you for adding to my mix for Gorgs will you? I have no remote clue as to how small they are. Yeah, I can look it up- but I like to hear how people using things like them. Books are..books.
Thanks!

I got out completely out about 4 years back, due to starting a family, school, and three moves in as many years. I'm also prefer SPS.

I have a coupla SPS pieces, but to have a whole tank worth, although beautiful to be sure- seems like a whole lot more work than I want to do these days! Hats off!

Umm...since you haven't REALLY been busy...<G> wow that's a lot of stuff going on for sure.

I have a coupla SPS pieces, but to have a whole tank worth, although beautiful to be sure- seems like a whole lot more work than I want to do these days! Hats off!

Umm...since you haven't REALLY been busy...<G> wow that's a lot of stuff going on for sure. I am past all of that now and do not envy you all of that. In final home ( farm ) and babies are grown & gone w/ babies of their own. I just get a passel of Grands now & then. Nice change!

Yea I do have a cuc but they don't eat it off the gorgs. It's more like a film that collects on the gorgs when they sand gets stirred up and then sticks to then and becomes algae.

Yea I do have a cuc but they don't eat it off the gorgs. It's more like a film that collects on the gorgs when they sand gets stirred up and then sticks to then and becomes algae.

I wonder if increased flow wouldn't be a good idea in that case Brittany? I am reading conflicting ideas as whether they prefer turbulent or laminar flow. I have read until my eyes are falling outta my head! I guess I'll set it up how it makes sense and go from there.
Anybody have any thoughts on water flow for Gorgs? I am tired of reading long-winded articles. My PS do fine in laminar with a gentle cross current. But then, they get most of their feeding done from the lighting. I was wondering how NPS do in different flows.

Back