Gorgonian lovers out there?

Hmm really? I ordered it from Tampa Bay saltwater LOL

Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock - Price List

Anyway I have heard a lot about oyster eggs lately also. I just got a really nice flower pot which from what I have read seem to respond to target feeding oyster eggs really well. I was going to get some this week.

Yeah, I looked and yeah you're right. The pic I was talking about ( I just double-checked ) was on the AquaCon site- check it out ( Dunno how to send a link ) about halfway down the Gorg page. If you look, you will understand my question. I was going to order from here until I checked the BBB rating- it was an "F". Glad I didn't! But they still have gorgeous photography! That Indonesian Fan is to die for.

I have a coupla SPS pieces, but to have a whole tank worth, although beautiful to be sure- seems like a whole lot more work than I want to do these days! Hats off!

Once the tank is established ( close to a year or so ) SPS really arent that bad to keep in the tank.. I have a mainly SPS dominated tank now and do very little other then waterchanges and testing and a little dosing to help growth to keep them going... The LPS seem to be more work then the SPS..

I have a coupla SPS pieces, but to have a whole tank worth, although beautiful to be sure- seems like a whole lot more work than I want to do these days! Hats off!

Once the tank is established ( close to a year or so ) SPS really arent that bad to keep in the tank.. I have a mainly SPS dominated tank now and do very little other then waterchanges and testing and a little dosing to help growth to keep them going... The LPS seem to be more work then the SPS..

Well, that is interesting to hear. The SPS people that I know are always trying to make their tanks perfectly crystal clear ( not that it is a horrible thing mind you ) and adding everything under the sun, equipment use out the nose-holes, topper-offers and Calcium Reactors and Auto Dosers, Mega skimmers, alarm systems and such. It is off-putting to somebody that has enjoyed incredible success for decades with only water changes, next to no additives, hand added Calcium, an ancient Penguin Filter and a lot of paying attention.

I am sure as heck not saying that they are wrong- they have their successes too- and some drop dead gorgeous tanks to boot! It's just not something I have the inclination for I guess. I honestly enjoy my more natural tanks. Every time I have ever gone in the Atlantic, I have never seen crystal clear waters I promise you. My critters thrive and make babies all of the time. I have not suffered a massive crash for a coupla decades ( and that was because a MASSIVE Carpet 'Nem croaked ) and have learned to be enthralled by softies and inverts and some LPS thrown in the mix. I don't find the LPS to be hard to keep so far- so maybe I should try giving more SPS than Monti's and such- a good, hard look. Thanks for telling me that! There are a few Acros that I have coveted along the way.

Yeah, I looked and yeah you're right. The pic I was talking about ( I just double-checked ) was on the AquaCon site- check it out ( Dunno how to send a link ) about halfway down the Gorg page. If you look, you will understand my question. I was going to order from here until I checked the BBB rating- it was an "F". Glad I didn't! But they still have gorgeous photography! That Indonesian Fan is to die for.

Yeah that site is bogus, tampa bay has a nice selection, reasonable prices and is definately legit

the only problem is, keeping the water clean enough for SPS makes it hard to keep softies and such.. a waterchange and dosing with kalk and good skimming is all I do, no auto equipment just a couple cupfulls of kalk and waterchanges then just testing is all the tank gets now .... probably not hurting that I have a 55 gallon sump with seperate 30 gallon refugium..:D

Yeah that site is bogus, tampa bay has a nice selection, reasonable prices and is definately legit

Thanks Amber! I will check them out. I have an order coming in this week for a whole bunch of Gorgs from SeaLifeInc.net They have been in business for over 25 years, are dedicated to Reef Restoration, hand collect only- and the prices can't be beat! They have no middleman. Kara and Philipp are incredible to do business with. If I want a 3" ( whatever )- they will go find me a 3" whatever and toss in a freebie more than likely as well. I can't begin to say enough good about that company. But I will go check out Tampa Bay, as they may have other stuff in stock that would love to have. I just gotta give my poor wallet a break for a minute! LOL. I am eagerly awaiting 47 items this week- for multiple tanks I may add- and I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve! I don't get to spend very much, very often.

the only problem is, keeping the water clean enough for SPS makes it hard to keep softies and such.. a waterchange and dosing with kalk and good skimming is all I do, no auto equipment just a couple cupfulls of kalk and waterchanges then just testing is all the tank gets now .... probably not hurting that I have a 55 gallon sump with seperate 30 gallon refugium..:D

I have a spare 45g tank to mess with and will, like I said, take a hard look at the SPS group of corals. I'll have to pull a skimmer outta the mothballs. The ones that I use are used for water movement more than skimming. I have a 25 gal sump I can attach. I have a 14 that is where I do growouts of Marine Macro and nano critters and want to use as a kind of remote refugium.

I was on another group site and the suggestion was made to use a 10 gal with a 9" deep sand bed as a remote filter and 'fuge- leaving it in the dark. Have you ever heard of anything like that? I am interested if anybody here has. New concept to me & I want to learn more from folks that have used it.

They are trying to create a deep sand bed, which supposably creates a zone free oxygen so that nitrifying bacteria can colonize it and reduce NO3 to N2 which just floats away into the atmosphere. However, it can be very dangerous for your tank if the DSB get disturbed because the biproducts of the process that happen in the oxygen free zone. Also I dont know how efficient these process are and how long it takes for the oxygen free zone to become established. I think you are much better off setting up a traditional fuge. It starts working almost instantly and it wont crash your tank.

I agree with Hannah about the remote DSB. Although they work for many people (and I had one on my 240 for years), they tend to crash eventually, and no one really knows why. When I downsized from the 240 to my 90, I got rid of the DSB and just used a humongous fuge with lots of macroalgae instead. That worked so well, that eventually I disconnected my skimmer and my whole system ran off my fuge alone for filtration/nutrient export.

They are trying to create a deep sand bed, which supposably creates a zone free oxygen so that nitrifying bacteria can colonize it and reduce NO3 to N2 which just floats away into the atmosphere. However, it can be very dangerous for your tank if the DSB get disturbed because the biproducts of the process that happen in the oxygen free zone. Also I dont know how efficient these process are and how long it takes for the oxygen free zone to become established. I think you are much better off setting up a traditional fuge. It starts working almost instantly and it wont crash your tank.

I already have from 4-6" deep sand beds in my tanks anyway. I only top-stir and have other critters to do it for me too. I know the new thinking is toward short sand beds in tanks- but if it ain't broke, I don't fix it- and it's worked great for me for a long time.
I was just wondering about the extra deep thing and it being remote and the possible benefits of what that could bring. Thank you for your input. I'll stick with what I have I guess.

at 4-6 inches you dont have enough sand to create an oxygen free zone, but you still have enough room for nasty biproducts to be created. I would be careful.

And the colorful gorgs are deep water gorgs, they are non-photosynthetic and very challenging to keep. They dont do well with bright lights because algae grows on them, which only speeds up their death in our tanks.

The brown/pink/purplish ones are photosynthetic and do really well in our tanks.

Ah, makes sense. Most of the dudes I work for get these great gorgeous Gorgonians that shrivel up and look like poop within a week. I tell them not to get certain things, and Gorgonians are one of them, then they go get them anyway, bungholes.

Never had any luck with Gorgonians, aren't they like deep water species that don't like light?

Depends on the type. Photosynthetic Gorgonian are super easy to maintain in a mature tank with decent lighting and the use of most any micro coral foods.

Non-photosynthetic do not require light, are generally brightly colored and are considered difficult because you have to feed them near constantly due to lack of symbiotic algae in their tissues ( I can't spell zoanxthellae I guess ). It is difficult to maintain the balance between their nutritional needs and balance in the tank at the same time. That is why they are considered difficult.

There is actually considered to be a 3rd category - Partial Photosythetics that do require some level of light due to a limited amount of zoanxthellae in their tissues. These are ususally found in deeper waters than Photo and not as deep as the Non-Photo. There is not a heck of a lot written about them.

Hope that helps. If you have a tank that has been up and running well for at least 9 months to a year, have at least strong T5 VHO lights- you can give Photosynthetics a whirl. They are gorgeous and turn your tank into a true slice of the ocean.

I started this thread in hopes of learning more about Non-photosynthetics -- tips, maintenance and such from people that actually maintain them and are not just readers of books and internet. I know what the books say- but it sure is nice to get the perspective of the experienced.

at 4-6 inches you dont have enough sand to create an oxygen free zone, but you still have enough room for nasty biproducts to be created. I would be careful.

Any area of sand that is not stirred can produce anaerobic bacteria in it. You are correct about the nasty bi-products created by that type of bacterium, but you have to suddenly stir the crap out of it after a long period of time. I appreciate the warning, but have maintained this tanks in this manner for decades.

This level of sand is required for tunneling species such as the Engineer Goby and ( less so ) the Jaw Fishes. I have both. They assist me in maintaining a healthy sand bed.

I have had my gorgonians and Dendros for over 3 years well fed and feed 3 times per week alternating with, frozen cyclops and Tropic Marin Phyton which is a photo plankton like product and Tropic Marin Zooton is a zooplankton like food product for corals. I have noticed greater polyp extension and more pods etc. in my tank since I started feeding more often. I target feed my LPS corals rinsed frozen mysis once per week as well.

I have had my gorgonians and Dendros for over 3 years well fed and feed 3 times per week alternating with, frozen cyclops and Tropic Marin Phyton which is a photo plankton like product and Tropic Marin Zooton is a zooplankton like food product for corals. I have noticed greater polyp extension and more pods etc. in my tank since I started feeding more often. I target feed my LPS corals rinsed frozen mysis once per week as well.

I'll check out those products- thanks! I like Tropic Marin products anyway. I have never used frozen Cyclops, just the freeze dried version. After snootin' around on the 'net, I was coveting some Fauna Marin foods specifically formulated for Gorgs- but when I went to order some, most are out of stock and the in stock come from Germany I think. I wonder if it was a typo, but it said the delivery time was 340 DAYS! I don't have that kind of pre-planning skill level <G> or patience.

Big day is tomorrow! Have 7 PS and 2 NPS Gorgs and a bunch of other stuff coming in tomorrow. I'll be up to my pits in saltwater all day and happy as the proverbial Clam. Been wanting this for many years. I am going slow in the NPS tank so I can get my bearings on water params and feeding enough. I'll try your 3X a week first and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice!

Back