Got a new camera!

Adrastos

not getting a free ride
After I finally figured out how to take good pictures with my Canon - I went out and upgraded to a DSLR (Nikon D40x)

Hopefully I start getting some good pictures with this kick ass camera to post here.

If anyone has any good tips for taking aquarium shots with a DSLR it's greatly appreciated!

After I finally figured out how to take good pictures with my Canon - I went out and upgraded to a DSLR (Nikon D40x)

Hopefully I start getting some good pictures with this kick ass camera to post here.

If anyone has any good tips for taking aquarium shots with a DSLR it's greatly appreciated!

Point,focus,and shoot:mrgreen:

Great looking cam I just looked it up. I have read you dont want to use the flash when taking pics unless the lights are off and use a macro lens for great close ups. I cant wait to see some new pics.

I think I'm going to have to work on the f-stop and aperature settings to get the best looking pictures. This camera shows me in real time the adjustments to the iris - so that helps a lot.

I sent a message to the guy that runs the farm near me - asked him if it was okay if I come over with my camera to test out on his thousands of corals... he said yes.. so.. hopefully I'll get some neat shots the next time I get out there (depending if my boat is out of the shop - maybe this weekend)

pointlesswithoutpics1.jpg

Adrastos:

I'm learning also with my Nikon D80. My experience is to turn the pumps off. A tripod is a must if your not goin to be using hte flash. Set the camera in Manual mode and adjust the shutter speed and app correctly. If i'm taking pictures of my fish I turn the ISO up to about 800 and use shutter priority it gets tricky with the fish, just take lots of pics.

I have posted a few recent pics in the chattanooga reef club forum if you want to check them out.

I'm not sure if the D40 you can adjust the Metering, but you will want to try and put that in spot or center metering if you can.

Just my 2 cents.
Brandon

Thanks Brandon

I use the tripod with the shutter on timer... it has helped take all of the blur away. I know in the D70 you can adjust the white balance to the temp of the light... I've gotta play around in the menu of mine to see if I can do this as well...

I like those night pictures..I've been wanting to try to get some night shots of my tank but always forget!

I haven't taken any yet. I'm going to go the coral farm to play around tomorrow while the wife is at a baby shower - hopefully I'll get a few to come out nice!

Back