Got a test kit and results

Shane1

Reefing newb
So from reading here and other sources it seemed like the right thing to do so I got a test kit. I got the API Saltwater Master Test Kit.
Here are my first test results.
PH - 8
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 15ish
The water in the tank is about a week old. Please advise.
Thanks

Oh boy! It sounds like you are cycling. I would return your fish until after your cycle is complete. The ammonia is very toxic. Once the ammonia and nitrate are zero, and you do water change to get your nitrates down you can get fish!

Return my fish where? I don t quite understand the cycling process yet. This is all new to me so I have to roll with th punches until I get a better grasp on things.

This tank has had life in it for over a year now. Is it regular practice to take things back to the lfs after that long.

IF it has been running for a year that is a different story, just have to let it cycle and do some water changes to minimise damage. Otherwise you risk losing your fish.

Good luck :)

But you havent had the tank for a year, you have only had it for a week correct?

When you moved the tank you stirred up a bunch of gunk that is causing the tank to recycle. You need to either take the fish to a lfs where they can wait out the cycle, or do daily water changes until there is no ammonia or nitrites.

Gotcha! It's been about 3 weeks I think. Sorry for the confussion. I'll be doing more frequent water changes until the levels drop.

Sometimes the API shows a false positive for amonia. Are your fish lethargic or acting normally? If they're normal you probably don't have any major problems just keep up with water changes to minimize any damage if there are traces of ammonia.

Back