Got an important question for you guys!

Treezer8

Reefing newb
Ok, bare with me.

I have 3 tanks. two 30 gallon tanks, and a 70gallon.

I am in the process of doing a DIY 20gal sump for the 70(its the biggest I can fit through the door)

I understand that if I'm wanting to use sand in the refugium part of the sump, I will have to cycle it like I would a new tank.

My question is, on my oldest tank, which is one of the 30 gallons, there is tons of live aragonite sand, the usual stuff you get. The tank has been running for over a year, and right now only contains one fish that I'm trying to give away, and some live rock.

Can I use sand from that tank, and put it in the refugium section of the sump? And then not have to buy new sand or cycle the sump?

If not, I was just going to not use sand and get some live rock and that chaeto stuff I keep hearin about.

Using new sand will not cause a cycle. If you stir up the old sand, that may kick off a small cycing in the tank you are getting the sand from.

I guess I am a little confused here?

Why would you have to cycle the sump if you put sand in it? People add sand to their display tank with no issues other than a little cloudiness.

So unless I am unaware of something (which is possible) either option would work.

I was talking to a guy at a LFS that was building a sump refugium think for a guy. He said that since he's putting like 40 pounds of live sand in the refug part, he has to cycle the tank for 7-10 days before he adds it onto the aquarium.

So I can take out like 4-8 pounds of the 30gal tank, put it into the sump, and let it start going through the tank?

Also, when I first start using my sump on the tank, do I fill the sump up with new water that I make? or add it on a water change? whats the best way

I respectively disagree with the LFS guy but maybe someone will chime in with an argument I agree with about that causing a cycle.

Now you may cause a disturbance in the 30g by taking out that sand but your 70g should not have any issues. Having the sump already filled may reduce some of the cloudiness that may occur.

Ok, I will have all livestock out of the 30 when the time comes anyway. I'll put some sand in, some rock, some chaeto and then fill it up with water when the time comes :) thanks

Honestly, I would just not put sand in it anyway. If you're using less then a 6" depth of sand then it's not benefiting your system at all by having it and it's reducing the overall total water volume to your system.

Honestly, I would just not put sand in it anyway. If you're using less then a 6" depth of sand then it's not benefiting your system at all by having it and it's reducing the overall total water volume to your system.

Good point, I was thinking of that right when I started reading. So just live rock/algae stuff?

Back