Got an oyster today... by accident! Now what?

dreams190

Reefing newb
Went to my LFS today, they had some Atlantic live rock (I think thats what they called it), they said they only get it two or three times a year. They were selling it for $10.99/lb and whatever corals were on the rock were included! So I got a couple pieces, took them home, put them in the tank. Later, I see one of them moving.... turns out part of one of the rocks is not rock, but an oyster about 4" big, lol! Now what? Haven't really been able to find a whole lot of info on them...

Cliff notes: Bought some coral today, part of the liverock turned out to be a 4" oyster. What do I do with it?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

nothing special I need to do with it? or feed it? anywhere particular I should have it as far as lighting and flow are concerned?

nothing for lighting that i can think of but for feeding you can add some zooplex or phyto every now and then. since it will get all its food from the water. and it may not live long and it could live for a long time just keep your eye on it for a few weeks if it dies than do a large water change.

nothing for lighting that i can think of but for feeding you can add some zooplex or phyto every now and then. since it will get all its food from the water. and it may not live long and it could live for a long time just keep your eye on it for a few weeks if it dies than do a large water change.

I feed MarineSnow so that should take care of the feeding I guess. When you say a large water change if it dies, how large are we talkin? I generally do 25% every 14 days or so.

pics! excuse my sorry attempt at fragging the pink button polyps... lol

100_1976.jpg

100_1975.jpg

100_1988.jpg

100_1992.jpg

He hasn't really opened a whole lot more than he is in the pictures...

Also picked up a couple other pieces...

100_1960.jpg

100_1959.jpg

Last edited:
i beleive i have one in my tank also... it was only open once since ive had the rock so i dunno if its dead or what, but i cant take it out because its like encrusted in the rock

You'll get a lot of those bi-valves with live rock.They dont open much,but they are pretty decent filter feeders.

I noticed in your pics that you have some of the money plant. Just to let you know, when the money plant is good and green it's alive, as it turns white it is dieing. Money plant requires a lot of calcium to thrive, thus taking it away from other coral's that need it faster than they can. Me myself would never allow it to grow due to the calcium uptake cause I have Acro's and coral that need all they can get. When money plant die's it turn white and release all the calcium it took up. Just thought I throw that out there.

Nice score on the oyster tho!!

Hmm after doing a google seach of the money plant(Halimeda) people actually BUY that stuff? I have thrown TONS of it in the garbage!

Hmm after doing a google seach of the money plant(Halimeda) people actually BUY that stuff? I have thrown TONS of it in the garbage!

Same here.Matter of fact,I make it a point to pick it all off any live rock I get.Dont want it in my tank.

Back