Got Blue Green Bactera?again

amonya

Reefing newb
or (slime alge) I was looking for the slime alge article but cant seem to find, I think everything is in check ammonia 0 niti 0 nita 0 ph 8.3 calcuim is a little low 360 do ya think its the calcuim that could be the case, or my phosphates(i think thats the word)don't have a tester to check but I'm going to fish store friday to get the remaining test kits that i don't have, I've decided that the way i set up my live rock wasn't the smartest way or best for maint . I guess im going to have to move them to smarter locations so I can get to the back of the aquarium and then I can get the crushed coral . Any guesses on what could be the problem also its not that bad of a out break just a small one and its only on the crushed coral usually it grows extremely fast in my tank but that was when i had problems with the nitrates. So we know its not nitrates can someone heip me pull my head out of my --- and shead some light on the subject please. :pooh:

I would check the Phosphate level. Do use a skimmer?.The calcium could be raised with some Reef Advantage Calcium bye seachem and reef builder for alk. http://seachem.com/products/product_pages/ReefAdvCalcium.html.
Make sure you get some test for calcium and alk before dosing though.Some times a little of boyds chemi-clean has helped me at times.I would also think about going to sand.Easier for most inverts to sift through.Good luck

Last edited:
I have moved the algae articles to page 1 of the article forum. I hope this helps. read CYANOBACTIERA AND RED SLIME ALGAE 1st it addresses blue green in part 2 of the thread.

more than likely its my phosphates considering my calcium level keeps dropping more than usual .thanks i knew it was right in front of me i had the article copyed at home but my old lady keeps thoughing important things away she thinks its a wast of money i don't know why she is this way with my saltwater stuff i just bought here a srt 4 for here birthday i thought that would shut her up for a little while since ill be paying for the piece of crap for the next three years sorry to get of the subject but i guess i had to get it of my chest any way I will be getting the rest of the testers today to hopefully find out what the problem is.ILL KEEP EVERYONE POSTED

ok got the phosphate tester and it was at o got the rest of the test ran by the store they said everything is almost exact insept my calcium is still a little low at 360 i think i just need to run protien slimmer a little longer and cut down on lighting was at a 12 hour day cut down to a 9 hour day and 11 hour actinic night did rutein water change its only growing on crushed coral cant seem to get it completly of the small cc i think im going to try some new stuff i seen at the fish store called slime out its says its reef safe and that if you dont get it completly out it will still grow,thinking to myself what the hell is producing the :pooh: maybe its when ifeed my corls there frozen foods maybe im overfeeding so im going to cut the food in half and see what happens .

If you read the helpful articles, your water parameters are good (I do not know what almost exact means from the lfs), and you are still at a loss as to what to do, I would suggest that maybe your water circulation may not be adeqate and may be a little light where you are seeing the growth. Never add anything to the tank unless you know why you are adding it and what caused the problem in the 1st place. in addition to more current i would recommend stiring the top 1/4 to 1/2 inch of substrait once per week or twice. not hard but gently to put top sediments back into suspension. hope something here helps. unless the cause is identified your problem will return, and sometimes these problems crop up from time to time. What is your salinity. bring your system up to full sea water strength is it is not. low salinity promotes algae growth also. if it is a cynobacteria you need to test for silicates. hope something here helps. good luck keep us posted.

i will get a test for silicates if they have one ,salinity is a1.026 right now,i cleaned my skillter because it was growing on the return lip and changed carbon maybe my filter was the case im not sure but if things change i let u know and the circulation i have three powerheads two point toward the center of the aqur and the other pointin towards the ground and the bottom of the gorgiana o yea solved the allege growing on my yellow gorg and now have another problem with slime.another thing i would like to add when the slime started i had like a fission or(had little mushrooms)with almost all my mushroons incept for my babies maybe that will help ,what causes them to spread like that.

OK IM GLAD I HELD BACK FROM JUST GETTING SOME SORT OF CHEMICAL SOLUTION FOR MY REDHEAD(RED SLIME) PROBLEM ,BECASE IT SEEMS LIKE MY AQURIUM TOOK CARE OF THE PROBLEM BY ITSELF OR THE RO WATER I BUY IS TAKING A BIG ROLE IN THE PROBLEM A DAY BEFORE I USALLY DO MY 20% WATER CHANGE IT ALL JUST DIED IT SEEMS ,TURNED BROWN AND LOST THE GRIP IT HAD ON THE TANK SO I SIFONED AND WAITED FOR ONE DAY TO SEE WHATS HAPPENIN SEEMS TO BE STAYING AWAY BUT ILL SEE WHEN I GET HOME TODAY(PLEASEPLEASENOMOREREDHEAD).O THE ONLY THING I DID TO THE TANK WAS CHANGED CARBON IN MY CANISTER (WITCH SHOULD OF BEEN CHANGED 16 DAYS AGO)YEA DO U THINK IT WAS MY CARBON THAT WAS PRODUCING FOOD FOR THE RED ALGE? :fechten2: SO FAR I THINK I WON THIS BATTLE

Your carbon could very well have been the problem, remember that once the carbon is spent it will act as a biological filter and will create nitrates. even though you cant read the nitrates, it soulds like you had some, or depending on the carbon maybe it was leaching something back into the system. if you run carbon you need to make sure you change it reguarly and never shut off the flow and let the carbon sit for more than 6 - 8hrs. if you have to be off longer remove the carbon/or replace it.

your problem cleared up when the food source was consumed. the test kits we use are not scientific lab grade kits and are just a very general test so it is not uncommon to get low levels of nitrates, phosphates, or silicates and not have a reading on the test kit, albeit at these low levels once the source is consumed the problem will go away. Keep a log on when the problem 1st showed up in comparison with the carbon change and you should be able to avoid a similar outbreak by changing your carbon on time. good luck keep us -posted.

Thanks Jhnrb Didnt Know ,good To Know If Power Is Out Right And Hofully Im Rollin In Right Direction And Not Speeding Past The Cops,lol

Back