got my new Octo 800, but...

rbl1979

Reefing newb
Hey everyone, quick question for all you Octo 800 owners, I got my new skimmer the other day and after a few small repairs already I got it pretty much assembled. However can someone tell me where the the foam goes. I got the small black piece on the outlet screen but the big blue one that came with it looking at the horrible directions gets jammed in the outlet pipe and this doesn't make sense to me for doing that. Is that where it goes? Also I have a small black mesh screen that isn't even on the directions is that for anything or was it just for packing protection?

Thanks again for your help.

he "black thing" sounds like the silencer, it sticks on the end of the clear air hose coming out from the pump itself.

the " black mesh" is a sponge pad meant to go at the bottom in the return section. I left mine out cause all it does is trap detritus.

the "blue tube" is only used to help start a siphon. on the inlet pipe there should be a valve, you can open or close it. on that valve should be a little just the right size for the blue tube.

to start a siphon

1- fill the skimmer with water
2- plug in the blue tube with the valve open
3- plug the skimmer in to turn it on
4- suck on the blue tube until you see water coming up into it
5- while still sucking close the valve
6- throw up a little bit
7- have a beer

you know the siphon is working when the water level in the pump section does not drain all the way down to the bottom of the pump

ok thanks, that is sorta what I was asking. I added pictures to help with my question. Again the thick black "sponge" I have on the discharge screen as for the instructions it is the other 2 that don't make sense the blue one on the instructions say it goes in the discharge pipe as a bubble stopper and the other small thin black "sponge" doesn't exist according to the instructions.

Attachments

• IMG_3375.jpg
    IMG_3375.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 261
I cant help the your skimmer,because I've never used an Octo skimmer.
But I just about busted a gut at Beano's directions :D

I just set one of these up last week. There are two sponges provided. The blue sponge is packaging, throw it away. The thin sponge is for a mesh mod, save it in a "to do later" bin. The thick sponge is as Beano said. We left ours in until the units breaks in, then we'll be pulling it.

OK. Here's the difference from Beano's explanation. Our unit did not have a valve. It had a simple push in connector. From what we understand, you are to leave the blue line connected to one of the lines going to the pump at all times. This is what we did and it's worked great thus far:

1. Fill it up with water, about 8-10 inches high.
2. Stab the blue line into the connector on top of the inlet pipe, connect it to one of the air lines going to the pump.
3. Bend the other line(going to the pump) with your hand and cover the end.
4. Have someone else with dry hands plug the pump in. It'll start to pump. When you no longer see air in the inlet line(the blue line) let go of the line you're stopping air from getting in.

The pump will now be working.

Thanks alot for the help once again. I should get it going later tonight. Starting to get excited adding rock next week.

i love this skimmer i have one of the older ones from when they first came out. i modded mine by drilling a hole frome the center section to the intake side to make it more like a recirc skimmer.

oops sorry I was thinking October 100, not 800

my directions probably didn't make any sense to you, but at I gave yore a chuckle

Back