Got myself a new Yellow Tang!

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
It's a little guy thats approx 3" in length. Ate pretty good at the LFS. He was feeding mysis to the fish as I walked in so I was in luck that I got to see it eat. Hopefully I'll have some good luck with it. Any special care requirements that I should know about?

I agree with Yote. Remember they are herbivores and need lots of vegetable matter. I feed my tank everyother day but feed dried seaweed on the off days for the tangs. Where are the pics?

I'm still at work. I ran to the LFS on a late lunch break so I don't have my camera here with me. I'll put pics up tomorrow. I have lots of nori and Ocean Nutrition frozen herbivor food so it will be well fed. I feed that stuff to my foxface. I assume it will be good for the tang as well?

Yep, the foxface's and tang's nutritional needs are pretty much identical. But tangs are more prone to HLLE if they are malnourished. Making sure that they get veggie matter in their diet will help to prevent that.

I would think it would be enough, I feed my 3 tangs and my foxface a 1/2 sheet everyday. If I don't it seems they get irritable..That could just be in my head but I do it anyway.

Congrats on the Tang..can't wait for the pics.

You can also supplement emerald entree, a frozen veggie food, will last a little longer than the sheets. Also, if you grow any macro-algae in your refugium, I know that's a favorite for my foxface.

You can also supplement emerald entree, a frozen veggie food, will last a little longer than the sheets. Also, if you grow any macro-algae in your refugium, I know that's a favorite for my foxface.

Wouldn't feeding them the macro-algae from you refugium just deposit the nitrates back into the system?

At least feeding them the macro is part of a closed system. Adding food increases nitrates to the entire system. Either way, with decent filtration, it won't be enough to really add much.

At least feeding them the macro is part of a closed system. Adding food increases nitrates to the entire system. Either way, with decent filtration, it won't be enough to really add much.

Thats a good point. For some reason I thought I read a thread on here that said not to feed from your refugium. Thanks for the correction.

Congrats!

All these congratulations and no pics!

On a side note:
UGHHHHHHHH!I ordered three pyramids and a red mandarin from Live Aquaria,all I'm getting is one lousy red mandarin in my shipment.The pyramids were in stock when I purchased them.Like I said-UGHHHHHHHHHH!

Yea, it happens to me once. Hope they'll be in stock in 2 weeks or they'll be cancelled and you'll have to pay the shipping again.

yea. That's one of the bad thing about mail order. Not to mention occasionally getting fish DOA or in bad condition like my yellow tang. :(

Here are the pics as promised.

Picture126-1.jpg

Picture125-1.jpg

Picture122-1.jpg

Picture127-1.jpg

Picture121-1.jpg

It's an angry little feller. Right from the get go it kept harrassing and attacking the Foxface and Hi-Fin Goby. Hope that will stop. I did feed about 1/2 hour after putting in the tank and it at nori and mysis just fine.

It does have some scrapes on both sides near its fins from laying under a rock at the LFS. That should heal up ok...right?

Back