Got some new corals....

mennazeher04

Reefing newb
Yesterday went up to Mr.Coral and took advantage of the $10 section of corals. Which is awesome I must say. Anyways I will have some pics when I get home after work. I will need some help on identifying the corals, placement, flow, and if they need to be fed or not. Thanks in advice.

Mike

sorry about the pics not going up last night. I couldnt find my camera last night, and comes to find out my girl has it so hopefully pics will come today. Right now all the corals are just sitting in the sand right now cuz i dont know where to put them.....lol.

ok pics as promised.......I have 5 frags and i would like to know placement/flow/to be fed/what kind of food if needs to be fed? Thanks again. Also sorry about the pics its just a point and shoot cuz my girl has the Nikon.

1st pic is zoanthids, but what kind is what im curious about........

sept222010003.jpg

2nd pic, have no clue what it is......
sept222010004.jpg

3rd pic is possible some sort of chalice maybe.....
sept222010006.jpg

4th pic is maybe a closed brain but not sure.........
sept222010007.jpg

5th pic is a sun coral, I have it in a shaded area so hopefully it will open soon...
sept222010008.jpg

6th pic is of all the frags except the sun coral which is already in place, but dont know where to put the other so......
sept222010018.jpg

Thanks again everyone.

It's hard to tell with the lighting messing with the colors but, the zoas look like watermelon zoas. The third one looks like a chalice, and the last one looks like a favia brain. Congrats, they all look great.

It's hard to tell with the lighting messing with the colors but, the zoas look like watermelon zoas. The third one looks like a chalice, and the last one looks like a favia brain. Congrats, they all look great.

thanks, all of these were $10 bucks other than the sun coral which I paid only $25 for. Which I think is an awesome catch on that one.:mrgreen:

oh also if it helps anyone the 2nd pic has green tips, and the 3rd pic the centers is a bright pink. The 4th pic of the possible brain has bright green centers. On the zoas the tentacle things are a bright green with the center like a orangish color.

Thanks alot everyone. Is there any good websites that I can look at that will help me identify like the names of each coral or is that nearly impossible?

Watermelon zoas
Ricordia
Chalice
Favia

Low to medium light and flow for all of them.
Feed the chalice at night with mysis shrimp from a turkey baster. Any small meaty bits will do fine. Feed it a couple times a week. Once a week minimum if you want it to grow fast.
Turn off the skimmer once a week for 24hrs and put some phyto or zoo plankton in the tank. That will feed the zoas, rics and favia.
The sun coral will need daily feedins with a turkey baster. Put the sun coral completely under an over-hanging rock. Shade it completely. It doesn't need or want light.

Very nice corals for the price. :Cheers:

Last edited:
Back