Got the skimmer working, couple questions

2fastlx

Reefing newb
Ok guys,
I got my octopus bh-100f up and running. My tank is filled up with only water and live sand. My skimmer is giving good flow and the bubbles in the middle chamber are hovering about 2/3 of the way up the tube going to the collection cup. Should these bubbles be overflowing into the cup right now, or do they only do that when there is significant waste to be removed? I know I can adjust the airflow to compensate plus move the cup up or down as well. Sorry for the questions but this is the first time I have really seen one of these things, so setup is a little confusing.

Thanks, John

it will take a week or two of adjusting before you find the sweet spot. once you add fish it might need to be adjusted too.

just check it once a day before you figure it out to make sure you dont set it too low and it overflows.

Thanks beano. I think the brown stuff that its collecting is just particulates from the substrate. The tank is very cloudy right now. Does it normally take a little bit for the tank to settle and become clear? The skimmer I have has a filter sponge that should collect the bigger stuff floating around, but the water is still cloudy upon re-entering the tank.

how long ago did you add water, and substrate? did you mix water before hand or in the tank?

i dont see it taking more than 24 hours to clear up most of the way after your done messing around with it.

I borrowed a RO machine and just finished a couple hours ago. I mixed all water in 5-gal buckets before hand and added substrate halfway through.

It can stay cloudy for 1-2 days. I redid my rockwork about 12 hours ago and mine is still a bit cloudy, so just give it some time :)

welcome btw

And with the skimmer, you can make it as wet or dry as you want. if its collecting a lot of liquidd waste (after skimmer is run in) you are collecting more waste, but if you are not letting it overflow in the collection cup and its just building on the inside (which i do) it will just collect the really nasty stuff.

Back