gph rates?

jeepjunky

Reefing newb
Im not to sure where to post this. Im looking at buying some parts to get my aquarium going. It seems that everything is gph rated (gallon per hour?) if so, what do I need? Im setting up a 55gal. The parts Im looking at are the skimmer, power heads, fountain pumps, overflow box, ect
Thanks

When it comes to gph, you want at least 10-20x your tank size. And depending on your livestock, possibly more flow.

Im not to sure where to post this. Im looking at buying some parts to get my aquarium going. It seems that everything is gph rated (gallon per hour?) if so, what do I need? Im setting up a 55gal. The parts Im looking at are the skimmer, power heads, fountain pumps, overflow box, ect
Thanks
I am still pretty new to this but here is what I am running on my 55.
Overflow- 600 gph
Pump@ 3ft. head height- 700 gph with seperate return to the sump with a ball valve.
Powerhead- 550 gph

I have 2x 1400 koralias and 1x 750 koralia, plus the pump for the skimmer. Thats on my 75g.

3x 750's
1x 1400 1x 750
1x 1400 2x750

Those would be some good combos depending on how your rock is set up and where the flow is needed.

You want 10-20x your size TOTAL in your tank.
So powerheads, sump return, etc all should add up to 10-20x.
That being said, I prefer to break it up between a couple pumps/powerheads instead of just one ginormous one.

Back