GPH to much for 26 Gal Tank?

No, turn over rate for a 26 should be around 30 to 40 times tank size. The more important question is what is the overflow rated at and how big is the sump? Your overflow will needs to be in the 600 gph range and the sump I would think larger then 10 gallons. I have a different brand pump on my 45, the overflow is rated at 600 gph. With the headloss the 712 gph pump is perfect and my sump is 15 gallons. I the reason I say the sump should be bigger then 10 gallons is because your pump section will be a tight fit with that size pump.

Can You suggest an overflow to me then? My sump is a proclear aquatics (up to 75 gal tank) i was thinking CPR Overflow Box. Are those good for saltwater aquariums?

Mine is the cpr design but a Chinese knock off. Main difference between them is mine is clear The cpr is black in areas that get light so less algae build up and the cpr comes with the foam block and inside stand pipe, I had to add a piece of 1 inch pvc and foam block. Difference in price is about $60. Here is the cpr...CPR CS Overflow Boxes here is what I have..Filtration - Overflow They both require a aqualifter pump to keep the suction going. I have been running mine since September and have had three power outages and had no issues restarting. There is a prefilter for the aqualifter that will make it last longer.

I think a 600 gph should work. I have about four feet of tubing that the pump has to push up. So my 712 pump I figure is right at 600 going into the tank. That is what headloss is how far and how many angles the pump has to fight against. If you are looking at about the same length then it should be pretty close to the same. If when you hook it up the pump is overpowering the overflow you will need to add a T and ball valve to the return line. That way you can dial it in without causing more back pressure on the pump. The diverted part would just go back to the sump.

So I would need to put a T and a ball valve on the line going back into the sump or back into the Tank? I am guessing you meant the Tank? But Not sure because, won't a T create back pressure on the pump anyways?

the t would be on the return line from the sump to the tank. The part not going to the tank would go back to the sump. Creating a kind of loop. Let me see if I can find a picture..hmm found this detailed explanation on basic plumbing is pretty good so I thought I would share....Aquarium Plumbing Basics | Reef AquariumReef Aquarium in this one if you look further down he uses the water not going back to the display to feed a reactor...another good illustration from the same guy. Some Sump Basics | Reef AquariumReef Aquarium there is a picture below that and a explanation of how he planed to dump water back into the sump if the pump was to strong. Both really good reads on how to do it.

Last edited:
Back