Gpix's 5g EcoPico [No pics yet]

gpix

Reefing newb
Hey all, just figured I'd start my tank thread for my 5g EcoPico that I just ordered last night. I cannot wait for this bad boy to come in. I got the reef version that comes with the two extra LED strips. Will post pics once it arrives! I may, or may not, have caught the bug.. :^:

If I had a wife, I'd be in a big pile of :pooh:, but thankfully, I only have a girlfriend. :bounce:

Nah , Just gotta learn to put your foot down and say ITS MY MONEY...... Make sure she's no where close when you say it though.

Wow. Look at all the advice; I didn't even ask a question! lol

My order shipped out today, not sure when it will get here though. Fedex ground so hopefully by Saturday?

Well, it's gotten to the point where I need to start thinking about RO/DI water. Been looking at a number of units but the 75 gpd plus package from Bulk Reef Supply seems to be the best deal. Just hard thinking about dropping that much money on one thing. Although I could pick up a couple more things and get the free shipping. I live in an apartment at the moment. Anyone have any qualms with the BRS RO/DI systems?

Alright, All.. Quick update:

I have put another order in; this time with Bulk Reef Supply.

1 x Float Valve
1 x 55g Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
1 x 4 Stage Plus 75gpd RO/DI unit

So, needless to say, it was an expensive visit to their site, but I can't wait for it to get here. The pico tank is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and the BRS order is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday! A very good week if you ask me...

On another note, I figure that I should be thinking about an ATO, but I want to do a DIY one for now. Maybe in the future I will go with a Tunze ATO that uses an optical sensor, but at this point in the hobby, that's an arguably unnecessary expense. So I wanted to run an idea by all of you so as to get an idea if this would work.

Items I presume I'll need:
1 x air pump
1 x jar with a "drillable" (plastic) lid
1 x Float switch
Enough airline tubing

I would first connect the float switch to the air pumps power wire and mount that, etc. I would drill two holes in the top of the plastic lid for the jar, put the airline tube from the pump through one hole down into the jar, maybe a half an inch or so, and silicone around the tube so as to seal it. Then I would take another piece of airline tubing and put it through the second hole in the jar all the way down to the bottom (so as to get the best use of jar space for water), silicone around the airline tube on the lid to seal it, and then mount the end thats coming out over my tank for the spout of the ATO system.

Once the float switch is triggered, it would turn the air pump on and push air into the (presumably air tight) jar through the first tube, and as the jar fills with air it would push water out of the exit hose into my tank. This sounds as though it would work. I saw this on a youtube video, but the individual didn't go in depth at all about the system so this is my best guess at recreating a similar system.

Side note: I've read a lot of posts where people complain how float switches are "unreliable" and such so don't use them. I've read that plenty of times and know that. My main question is about the other aspect of this DIY ATO and not the float switch.

Thanks, All!

Alright, All.. Quick update:

I have put another order in; this time with Bulk Reef Supply.

1 x Float Valve
1 x 55g Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
1 x 4 Stage Plus 75gpd RO/DI unit

Does that RO/DI kit already come with a check valve to make the float valve work?
When I got my RO/DI kit from BRS it did not have a check valve included and I have to buy one when I bought the float valve.

Without the check valve, the float valve will stop the product water from going into your container.
However, the RODI's output line will not build enough pressure to trigger the auto shut-off valve and the unit will continue to process water out through the waste line.

The RODI and float valve will still work, but it could result in a lot of waste if left unattended.

Does that RO/DI kit already come with a check valve to make the float valve work?
When I got my RO/DI kit from BRS it did not have a check valve included and I have to buy one when I bought the float valve.

Without the check valve, the float valve will stop the product water from going into your container.
However, the RODI's output line will not build enough pressure to trigger the auto shut-off valve and the unit will continue to process water out through the waste line.

The RODI and float valve will still work, but it could result in a lot of waste if left unattended.

Thanks a lot for your reply, RockStacker.

The RO/DI unit that I purchased is located at this link here:
BRS 4 Stage Value PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

It says that it comes with an Autoshutoff valve and that should include the check valve... I hope. Thanks for the heads up. Let's just say that I want to run it manually and not worry about the float valve for right now. Can I just stop the input line, pure line, and waste line manually?

It says that it comes with an Autoshutoff valve and that should include the check valve... I hope. Thanks for the heads up. Let's just say that I want to run it manually and not worry about the float valve for right now. Can I just stop the input line, pure line, and waste line manually?

Unless BRS changed their design, the auto shut off valve (ASOV) does not have the check valve built in. The ASOV is the white box thing with four connectors.

Without the float valve, you can just shut off the main water input line and that will stop the entire unit - give or take a few ounces of water that drains out..
That is what I used to do before I got the float valve and check valve.
I also had a timer app on my phone to remind me to check/shut off the water after some time. The float & check valves make RODI life so much easier. :)

Check out this BRS video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssa6njb5nV4"]Auto Shut Off Valve Installation Demo - Bulk Reef Supply BRS - YouTube[/ame]

Unfortunately, the BRS RODI did not come with a check valve. I will probably purchase one in my next order from them. My water pressure in my apartment is sitting at about 30psi, which is less than what they recommend. However, my TDS going into the RODI unit is at approximately 18, so there isn't much stress on the RODI unit compared to other input TDS levels I have seen. I'm going to take the unit over to my girlfriends apartment hopefully tomorrow or the next week and see what water pressure I can get over there, and if it's a lot better over there I will just see her more often. haha :)

P.S. - Debating on the booster pump, but that seems awfully expensive for what it does... but it could save me money down the road. Frankly with just a pico tank I won't need to use the RODI unit 'that' much. Who knows.. will wait for water pressure reading from girlfriends.

Just hook up the RODI unit at your GF's place and get a couple of 5 gallon water containers to fill up while you visit her :)

5 gallons will probably last you a week or more for the pico. The second 5 gallons is for water changes.

Will do. I'm going to request you as a friend seeing as how you've posted so many times. Haha and no I won't pm you time and time again with questions, but I do appreciate all of your input. Today my clown started swimming a little "differently" than is typical the couple weeks I've had him, but I think he should be ok based on what I've read. Water parameters checked out ok except nitrates which were a little under 20ppm. :/ I know I need to get those down so I started curing a batch for a water change tomorrow night. 25% for my 20 gallon and then another 25% in a couple days.

Every time I see this thread has been updated I'm like "YES! FINALLY PICS!".

Every time I am disappointed.

And clowns are weird. As long as he's not gasping for breath and still eating, he's fine.

Re: Gpix's 5g EcoPico [Pics!!]

Erin motivated me just enough to finally capture some pics of the tank in it's current state - empty - lol

However, it will be filled soon! Enjoy..

aomQeE4.jpg

pKK1T71.jpg

RHE1v2Z.jpg

5e4JyKu.jpg

BS0Zim5.jpg

Ssco9O9.jpg

Back