Gpix's 5g EcoPico [No pics yet]

Can't wait to see it all filled up :). Can you PM the information on how you got the upgraded light? I was thinking of setting up a little nano for my fiancee, and that sized tank would be perfect.

Can't wait to see it all filled up :). Can you PM the information on how you got the upgraded light? I was thinking of setting up a little nano for my fiancee, and that sized tank would be perfect.

Actually, the tank and light were included in the reef version of Ecoxotic's EcoPico. The standard kit comes with one strip of 3 LEDs; the reef version comes with three strips of 3 LEDs each.

Hey all,

I am soon going to be moving from the 20 gallon to the ecopico 5 gallon. Had a couple questions:

I have been researching a little bit about the best way to do this, but I'm sure you could safely do this a variety of ways. Would it be ok to transfer enough live sand, then live rock, then fill the 5 gallon with new rodi saltwater? I would wait a couple days so I could check parameters. I just don't want to start a cycle again.

I figure if I can get that all done and transferred in less than an hour I'll be fine.

Thoughts?

Your wish is my command:

idUFSJn.jpg

CVG4336.jpg

iXX09X8.jpg

2kLVklu.jpg

VALTDN4.jpg

LZjh6qm.jpg

^^ My Snail who's currently hiding on me, sleeping, or pouting currently... You can see his shell just left of center in the picture above.

Hopefully you enjoy!

What a great tank! The solid cover is going to be a pain in the butt though. Have you thought about a screen top?

I hadn't actually thought about a screen cover. Would you be able to explain why it would be a pain though?

I figured it'd be nice so as to reduce evaporation for more manageable top off. However, it gets foggy because of the evaporation, but I don't look into the tank from the top. :)

Me either! I've filled it with one snail so far... one snail that is frustrating as hell. Put him in there, saw him the other day, now I can't find him. Dang Nassarius....

Put some food in there like rotifers and watch him crawl out from under the sand.

I have not tried "rotifiers" - will look those up tonight - but I have put fish food in there which typically brought them out in my 20 gallon. I'll probably see him in a couple weeks based on what I've read.. haha

I hadn't actually thought about a screen cover. Would you be able to explain why it would be a pain though?

I figured it'd be nice so as to reduce evaporation for more manageable top off. However, it gets foggy because of the evaporation, but I don't look into the tank from the top. :)

Like Erin said, the salt creep. It cuts your light intensity and is just a pain to keep clean in general. The CO2 exchange to a lesser degree. I see it has gaps on the side. Those gaps could also be problematic if you got a fish that likes to jump.

Lol, I'm sure I'll get something for this, but I normally don't even bother dripping stuff like Zoos. I just float em, and then put em in. Never had a problem yet *Keeps fingers crossed). Then again, my LFS usually keep their SG at 1.024-25 and I keep mine between .025-26

Haha - to each their own, Anthony. :Cheers:

Right now the tank is doing pretty well. The brain coral is doing pretty well, but the zoa isn't getting very good polyp extension. I moved it into the 5 gallon from the 20 gallon and it just hasn't been the same. I know it's not water, because the parameter are all straight, but I think it might be the fact that it's adjusting to the different lighting. My 20 gallon was on 48 watt T5 HO's, but this one is on the three LED strips from the EcoPico. I'm almost positive this lighting would be fine for it.

A quick question:

I have been debating on getting a nicer powerhead. Right now I have a Koralia 425 but not in my tank. For the 5 gallon I am just using the filter/powerhead that comes with the EcoPico. My thought right now is next paycheck I'll purchase an MP10...

That, for me, is a big investment given the cost. My predicament is that they say it's fine for 2.5 - 50 gallon tanks, but I really don't want to drop that money and have it be wayy too much flow. It is a nice powerhead though with multiple settings so I'm sure I could find something on it that would work nicely with 5 gallons.

Thoughts?

Back