Gpix's 5g EcoPico [No pics yet]

Hey all,

Just placed an order to BRS for some DI resin and ..wait for it.. A refractometer! Can't wait to get that and get an accurate salinity reading..

Also, I purchased a scarlet cleaner shrimp for my tank yesterday and drip acclimated him for a short time, so I am anxious to see if he made it through the night and day when I get back after work. Will post some updated pics later.

I kept my MP10 on reef crest mode at about 25% and everything did great. I am in the process of re-working the tank, and it will be going right back on it. There are a ton of people running them in small tanks without issue. I say go for it.

I kept my MP10 on reef crest mode at about 25% and everything did great. I am in the process of re-working the tank, and it will be going right back on it. There are a ton of people running them in small tanks without issue. I say go for it.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I've seen wayyy too many picos/nanos with MP10's that do just fine. Yes, I'll have to run it on lower settings, but if I need to upgrade, boom. It's there. Thanks for input.

On the bright side, my refractometer arrives tomorrow! Cannot wait to get that thing calibrated. What I CAN wait for is finding out what the actual salinity of my tank is... :shock:

We shall see.

Refractometer ..check.
Extra DI Resin ..check.

I was a little nervous to find out the more accurate salinity of my tank when I was getting my refractometer calibrated, but after calibration I took a reading and my tank is sitting at about 1.024 which was not as bad as I thought! I was pretty afraid that it was going to be horrible.

On the bright side: My light should be shipping to me soon! Will post pics once I receive that and get it installed.

Next purchases on the radar:
MP10 (can't decide if I want to spend extra money on wireless model or not)
Booster pump for RO/DI filter
More coral :)

Since you will only be running one MP10, there is no need to get the wireless. If you upgrade tanks later on, the wireless chip can be purchased for like $50

You are upgrading the lights? The lights that come with it are most likely good enough for lps and softies, no?

Based on the compartively limited amount of knowledge I currently possess, I would believe you are correct, Anthony.

However, there were a few reasons for my decision to upgrade:

1. First and foremost - because I can. lol
2. If I ever choose to house SPS I will have an ample amount of light, as well as (arguably) better light for lps and soft corals.
3. The storm controller is righteous. I could just buy the storm controller and put it on other lights, but Dave gives you the option to attach it to his and he'll do it for me - so it works out.
4. The dimming capabilities are builtin to the new fixture with the use of the controller, so no need to buy more adapters, more LED strips, more splitters, and a dimmer from Ecoxotic to get the same result as the new light will give me (arguably a better result).

So, in short, it seemed like a worthy use of my spending money and in case I want to house harder corals in the future, I will be absolutely set in the lighting realm. :Cheers:

Makes sense I suppose lol. I tried SPS for a while, then I had a BTA get sucked into a powerhead and rot in my tank. 300$ worth of SPS frags and mini colonies down the drain. Almost all of my LPS survived it though, and all of my softies/zoos/palys did. So, I'm steering clear of SPS. Besides, they like the water to be pristine, where LPS and Softies have done better in "murky" water for me. I also don't run a skimmer or a sump on any of my tanks :p

tumblr_m28ndh2hFB1qawhwy.gif

Back