Gpix's Young 20 Gallon Reef Tank

gpix

Reefing newb
I have finally gotten around to creating a tank thread. I will upload a few of the pictures of the progress during cycling. However, I'm not really sure that I even had much of a cycle due to the dry and live rock and live sand that I used which was all cured. Anyway, let me know what you think so far!

Current specs:
Fish Tank: 20 Gallon H (24in x 13in x 16in)\
Lighting: T5HO AquaticLife 2 bulb x 24w (48w total)
Powerheads: Koralia 425 & Marineland 900
Filter: Fluval AquaClear 20-50 gallon
Heater: Aqueon 100w heater
Sand: Fiji pink live sand (I believe it was Fiji pink or something)
Rock: ~11 lbs. live-dry rock and ~6 lbs of live rock

^^ The very beginning

^^ Then I went and got more live rock and got an easier to read thermometer (thankfully..)

^^ Give a warm welcome to Leonard!

Will have links to videos soon. :^: Again, any suggestions and comments are welcome!

Last edited:
Nice tank. Are you running any lighting?

Yep, I have an AquaticLife T5HO 2 bulb unit. Funny thing about that is (well, not so funny) when I get up and turn the unit on, my clownfish almost appears to lose his "balance"... The way I think it looks is if you're at a concert and it's really dark inside and then you turn around and someone takes a picture with flash on, we have to close our eyes and readjust. I think that's what is happening, at least for now. It is only the start of his 3rd day in the tank so maybe that will get better.. I hope.

New corals!

Hey all!

I went to an awesome LFS that I hadn't known about until a week ago and finally was able to make time to go there; it rocked. The guy was super down to earth, and gave me a bunch of great advice. I got two $10 coral frags from him: a Zoa frag and a Favi frag (brain coral type). They are doing well it appears! I acclimated them yesterday afternoon and put them into the tank, this morning I woke up and turned the t5's on, and a few polyps of the zoa started to peek out just a tiny bit and I was STOKED! Went to work for 9 hours, came back, and bam, pretty nice extension on most of the polyps! I was even MORE STOKED! Here are the before and after pics below:

7xJZzGn.jpg

5q4JiO7.jpg

And here's a link to the quick video update:

20 gallon Update - New corals! - YouTube

Get use to the favia being small, they are pretty slow growers :mrgreen:. I'd move the Zoas by a rock or on to a rock, this way the polyps can attach themselves to it and spread over it! Other then that, congrats on the new pick ups! :)

Get use to the favia being small, they are pretty slow growers :mrgreen:. I'd move the Zoas by a rock or on to a rock, this way the polyps can attach themselves to it and spread over it! Other then that, congrats on the new pick ups! :)

Haha yayy for small corals. :P

I would move it to a rock currently, but hopefully within the next few days that colony of zoas will be in the 5 gallon and I will heed your advice and move them onto a rock at that point. Thanks for the tip! I was curious how that all worked. Watching the zoas attach is probably comparable to watching paint dry though... haha or at least I would imagine it would be very slow.

Back