Granular Ferric Oxide - Phosphate Remover -

qxcontinuum

Reefing newb
So i bought from ebay this Granular Ferric Oxide - Phosphate Remover - 1 pound
only 10$
Big als is selling it for 54$ 180 grams (same thing) as the newest and best option to remove phosphates.

Now my question would be, since my tank is 2 days old, should i ad this now or later. I don't want to get any chances to have phosphates built in my tank. I'll be forever using nitrates and phosphates remover.
I am thinking since i start feeding my fishes i must ad it now, isnt' it?

I understand that the fishes shouldn't be in a newer tank but i had no other options and the "thieves" from pet stores were offering me 3$ for full grow fish. I will be careful feeding them.

qx I'm sorry to say I think you are headed for disaster. You have fish in a two day old tank?

yeap, and the same thing i did 3 months ago and no fish had ever died.
I hope you know that one of the fastest methods to cycle your tank is to ad fishes in the beginning. They are caled suicidal fish. But as long as you keep ammonia and nitrates down they will survive very well.
I have never recorded ammonia before and i'll keep the nitrates under control.

Can we please skip this? I need an answer to my question, phosphate remover now or later?
I will not sell my 10 years old clowns and damselfish to no one for 3$.
I preffer keeping them with the risk of killing. It's basically the same thing

Last edited:
Do you have a link to the Ebay purchase? The cheapest I ever found GFO was $21/lb.
I need an answer to my question, phosphate remover now or later?
Simple answer...did you test for phosphate and if so, what's the reading? Anything over 0 you should/can use it.

No comment on the cruel method of using live fish to cycle your tank. There are better ways..........

i only use the gfo if there is any po4 in the water....if there is no po4 in the water, i think it is a waste of time (just my opinion)

You're gonna spike up in about 3-5 weeks and kill a lot of whatever you have in there. But yes, I think you should add the phos. remover. You'll have to change it a week or two. Do you have a reactor to use it in? Good luck, you should really wait........

here is a complete professional information about these GFo

Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The bottom line: Would I use GFO to export phosphate? The answer is a qualified yes. Phosphate is such a significant problem for reef aquaria that it should be kept appropriately low (less than 0.03 ppm) in some fashion. There are many ways to minimize the accumulation of phosphate. In my own reef, I prefer to use skimming, carbon, and macroalgae growth to export phosphorus. If these are unsuited to a particular setting, then perhaps GFO is an appropriate alternative.

You're gonna spike up in about 3-5 weeks and kill a lot of whatever you have in there. But yes, I think you should add the phos. remover. You'll have to change it a week or two. Do you have a reactor to use it in? Good luck, you should really wait........

My question is;

1) if the live rocks are already dead and dry there's no bacteria and die off on them. I have used some cycling bacteria. I noticed after using these bacteria my tank is already smelly as before. I guess they start working! No ammonia so far, no nitrates

2) Yesterday 24 hours after set up my Nitrates were recorded 10 the minimum level but existent. Today is 0. Could be the bacteria i've added?

3) What is the difference between waiting a few months for a tank to cycle and/or adding live bacteria that cycles the tank within hours (this is what they advertising it).

Last edited:
It's called a cycle, it's how nature deals with itself and keeps recyling the water to be clean. Because its a closed environment it takes place. I'm not an expert on the cycle, but I can tell you my old fish store dupped me into thinking my water was fine and proceeded to sell me all kinds of fish which died. I lost about $250 worth of fish, but of course I found out later they were ripping me off badly, sad that they just want money, why not hold a gun to my head and take my wallet, I would res[ect them more thinking they really need the money. Well, I found a much better store and the guy won't sell me things that won't live in my tank. I wanted a clam real bad and he kept telling me no, it will die. But he did order me one for the lights I have and for only$40, the guy at the other store wanted 100 for the same clam, so there's the difference. I don't believe in sacrificial fish at all, sorry, I care for my pets better than that, and wouldn't sacrifice anything, well, except my overwieght evil sister in law, I'd push her into a volcano no problem, but I bet the volcano would spit her back out. Good luck and I hope you slow down and just have some patience in doing this. I've had my tank up 6 months now and it's as stable as a rock, I only test my water once a week now and changes every 2 weeks, 10%.

SeaBee, I've started several tanks and never once had a "cycle". For the most part what you say is true but there are ways to avoid the cycle.

C

I started watching that show TANKED on Animal Planet, and they set up these huge tanks for people, adding 20-50 fish shortly after adding the water !! WTF!? Do you think there is an edit period that is not shown for the lay fish tv show watchers?

I started watching that show TANKED on Animal Planet, and they set up these huge tanks for people, adding 20-50 fish shortly after adding the water !! WTF!? Do you think there is an edit period that is not shown for the lay fish tv show watchers?

Just saying.......... but this thread is 2 years old...............
Just a thought.

Back