Gravel Vac for Water Changes?

Rufio808

Reefing newb
Is it safe to use a gravel vacuum when doing water changes? I mainly just use the hose to siphon out water, but is it safe to clean the substrate? I figured it would stir up harmful bacteria so I've been avoiding it, but maybe cleaning just sections of the substrate during weekly water changes would be fine.

Thanks in advance!

You definitely don't want to go stirring up the sand bed at all like you would with a fresh water tank. It will cause the sand to release toxins its holding back into the water table.

There still seems to be a misconception about sandbeds.Most people don't run a sandbed deep enough where the sandbed can't be disturbed.It's okay to vacuum or stir the top layer(an inch or so) of sandbed.It's actually beneficial to keep the top layer well oxygenated and the micro-fauna can have a second benefit,feeding corals.

There still seems to be a misconception about sandbeds.Most people don't run a sandbed deep enough where the sandbed can't be disturbed.It's okay to vacuum or stir the top layer(an inch or so) of sandbed.It's actually beneficial to keep the top layer well oxygenated and the micro-fauna can have a second benefit,feeding corals.

Id you vaccuum the top layer of sand, I assume that the sand along with the water would go through the tube and into the bucket or whichever you're vaccuming into?

or does the sand just float up a little bit and then drop back down?

And if the sand is sucked back up, is it fine to get rid of the water but keep the sand? or just toss the sand it sucked up?

I have gravel and the vacuum just suspends the gravel. Unwanted stuff is siphoned out and the gravel just falls back down. It's pretty good but I don't get enough time to clean before all the water I need for the water change is in the bucket.

The sand is heavier then the water like Rufio mentioned but if you have very fine sand,you may not be able to vacuum.I heard of people using nylon stocking over the inlet to grab some of the debris withoput pulling sand.

I do like to say though most people don't vacuum the sand ever,including myself.

I vacuum my sand just like reefreak said everytime I change the water. It sucks out the garbage and the sand falls back to the sandbed. Gets alot of crap outta there.

Yeah, I just got a powerhead in today and I've been mixing water nonstop. I don't even know if i want to put in my tank now.

If you have a Biocube or other All-in-1 tank with the back chambers then you must get a vacuum to clean out the chambers. Even with floss, detritus will collect back there.

Back