gray fuzzy stuff on live rocks

sicklids

salt water dummy
is this detritus? algae? im not sure what it is but its ugly! what can i get to clean this stuff up? my camera sucks or else i would post pics of it. its all over the top of my rocks. if i pick up the rocks and shake them it will come off

would bristle worms eat this stuff? i dont have any, but i did think about adding some. if not what else could i put in there to eat it? snails are out of the question due to the puffer and trigger.

Hard to say without a pic, but if it covers the top of the rock and shakes off, my guess is cyanobacteria. I don't know of any algae you can just shake off rocks.

I think is some kind of algae, I had the same thing earlier, but my turbos clear them within few days and they never came back...snails are your best bet...

well, snails become prey in my tank, so i dont know what im gonna do at this point. heres a pic, you can kinda see it in this one

SWfish008.jpg

i only have one powerhead in the 55, that makes sense that i need more flow! i got a real cheap powerhead at that so i probably need more powerheads for sure!

there isnt anything that will eat this stuff though? i mean i know snails do, but they wont make it long in my tank. if i add more flow, then all this crap will be just flowing around in my tank.

Thats kinda the point of having good flow inside the tank.To keep crap from settling out.If detritus settles on the rock and sand,then your filter and skimmer cant remove it.

i dont have a overflow nor a skimmer at this point, got one ordered, but it on back order. all i have is a hob filter for freshwater. but i guess that would work too huh

i dont have a overflow nor a skimmer at this point, got one ordered, but it on back order. all i have is a hob filter for freshwater. but i guess that would work too huh

Better than whats on it now.
When I started this hobby,I kept my 30 for nearly a year with only an emperor 400 for a filter.
Another thing that will help,When you do a water change,siphon out as much of the crap as you can.

alright, thanks guys! gotta do a water change today so i will be sure to do that! its so dangerous sticking a hand in my tank! 2 lions, a foxface, and a longspine urchin! not to mention the eel!!! fun for me!!!!!

alright, thanks guys! gotta do a water change today so i will be sure to do that! its so dangerous sticking a hand in my tank! 2 lions, a foxface, and a longspine urchin! not to mention the eel!!! fun for me!!!!!

Its the foxface you gotta watch out for.:shock:

Mine would to Piggy.It loved to nibble the hairs on my arms.But thats also what kept getting me stung by him.Too easy to get against those spines.

Back