Greasy Joe's 125 gallon algae turf scrubber tank

Greasy Joe Bick

Reefing newb
Hey guys and gals. It's been quite some time since I have been on the site. Work has been taking up alot of my time in the last few months. Haven't had the time to update as often as I liked.

Within the last week I found the bigger, quieter, rental property, I had been searching for. Therefore, to make the move less troublesome, and scratch my "I want a bigger tank" itch, I bought a new 125 gallon, 72" long, Aqueon Tank and stand.

1dbe91ce-6547-4327-9321-c13a60120f63.jpg

I want to drill my tank this time. Two overflow boxes seem like too much trouble for a tank this size. With this tank, my only option is to drill in back. (Bottom is tempered). I want to drill the back of the tank anyways, to allow as much real estate, as possible.

My scrubber screen will have to be 12.5 inches wide, with a flowrate of at least 450gph.

I have read about setups, with more holes drilled in the back, to allow more flow and eliminate the need for circulation pumps on the sides and back of tank. I just don't quite understand how those work or if they are very practical and work well.

How would the pros, here at Living Reefs, deal with a new tank like mine? This new 125 will be my main tank and I want to be sure I do this the right way, the first time.

I'm open to all suggestions permitting my 460 gph scrubber, drilled in back, with the most efficient circulation possible. There are so many options out there and I feel my brain spinning in multiple directions. I don't know where to go from here. Any help, tips, advice on plumbing, sump tank size,pipe style and size, would be greatly appreciated. I think know what I want after I get it flowing.

Last edited:
yay new tank! i drilled my 75g with 2x 1" drains on the right upper side. if i had a 125 and i were to drill it, i think i would drill 4x 1" drains and use one of them for the scrubber and the other 3 for water movement. as far as a return pump, i would go with something rated for 1200gph or more with 4 drains. im sure someone else with a larger tank will chime in soon with their recommendations

Check out the Bean Animal overflow. It's probably one of the best, if not the best way to put an overflow on your tank.

BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System

Thanks for that link. This looks like it will suit my needs. That link taught me Alot. Learned about 3 Different ways to do this type of setup. I think I will go with BeanAnimal's take on it. I really like the idea of redundancy, plus, the ability to use the secondary siphon to raise gph to 5000, while maintaining an emergency pipe, is great.

Checked algae scrubber forms, and lots of Herbie models used there. Should work with this type too.

Looks like drilling will start tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions Buddy and Zissou

Back