Greasy Joe's 55gal scrubber tank

You care about wasting trees by printing on multiple pages?If you dont know of a print place then use google to search for them, they have them!

Stop thread jacking this thread please. I wanted this thread for problem solving and tank showcase. You two are totally of topic and filling this thread with junk.

If you want to make wallpapers for someone then make a thread in Lighting, Filtration, and Other Equipment. TYVM. :grumble:

Hello guys, Update.

In the past week or more I bought some circulation for my tank, proper lighting, and couple of fresh (dead) shrimp from grocery store.

The shrimp have been in there a few days. Water starting to smell today. I got out my ammonia test bottles and tested the water.

I have about 1.5ppm reading with my test. Tested twice.

It that high enough? can i pull these stinking shrimp out? lol

Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate are all at zero! Cycle is complete! :^:

I sent reefcleaners a custom clean up crew inquiry and John replied at lighting speed. I ordered the following:

50 Dwarf Ceriths
18 Nassarius
17 Florida Ceriths
4 CHitons
12 Large Nerite and 7 Small to medium Nerites

He's shipping them out today. Since I got 4 fuzzy chitons, it will be shipped express mail. They will all be here tomorrow at noon.

Is there any special acclimation method for snails? I've read that ammonia and PH spikes during shipping and putting the bag water into my tank could cause some problems. Is this true even for only one day of shipping?

Can't express how stoked I am to finally get living creatures in the tank! :bounce:

No, i just go extra slow with the snail acclimating them, but i still always manage to lose a few.

Also, i dont think your tank had enough food to support that many snails and stuff. I think you are going to need to supplement their diet with dried seaweed for a bit

Update time!

Alot has changed since my last update. Black background on the tank now. It looks soo much better. The pumps, Heater and overflow box all seem to nearly dissapeer. All attention is on the rocks now.

I have also setup separate timers for my blues and days. Blues come on an hour before the days to simulate dusk/dawn. I took off half of my glass cover and replaced the missing half with a custom built screen.

I added some more black substrate cause I finally decided what the main attraction will be. I'm going for pistol shrimp and gobys. I got lucky at the LFS and found a pair. I first bought an orange spotted goby and a candy/randall pistol shrimp. The following day I also added a yasha goby in there.

I got lucky when the shrimp was added. He went to the front of the tank and placed him self under a small geode. I got to watch him build his first burrow. It was really amazing watching him work. I got to see him shuffle the small sand around. As he'd find bigger pieces of shale he'd use that to reinforce his burrow. I thought the really neat thing was when he would place the shale he'd give it a little nudge and shake, just to make sure it was holding the way he wanted it to. WOW! I really like these guys.

Unfortunately he's no longer in front. I tried to spot feed him and that's when all hell broke loose. The nassaruiss snails gang raped his burrow from the smell of the shrimp and they managed to loosen the sand enough to cause a collapse. The shrimp was pinned down and i had to get the gloves on and save him. When I lifted the rock he raced to the rocks on the back of the tank. I think i see where he burrowed. There is a spot that was licked clean by the snails but it now has small bits of sand on top the rock.

The orange spotted goby seemed to be hanging out with him until i put in the yasha the next day. When i added the yasha the yasha parked under a rock in the back of the tank. He was only about 2-3 inches from the new shrimp burrow. Now the orange spotted goby is in another cave and the yasha is no where in sight. Haven't seen him in 2 days. I checked my floor, overflow box, and sump. No yasha. I'm assuming they buddied up and are just hanging out in the hole together. I can't tell cause i can't see.

Here's some pictures of the new stuff.

blacktankfull.jpg

Orange spotted goby

orangespottedcave.jpg

Couple questions for you pro reefers out there.

I want my shrimp back in view. I have seen and built a shrimp trap out of a 20 oz bottle. I cut the top and inverted it. I also picked up some frozen krill for bait. I want to pre-build his hole with some rubble and locate him in front. Will this stress him too much? He's already been though hell when the nassarius went nuts on his first hole. What ya think?

My last question is, how many pistol/goby combos can i put in my tank? I've read that 5 was the most for the randall/candy pistols. They only get 2" big. I will make sure I prebuild all their holes and keep them a good distance away from each other. Is 5 my max for these guys?

I would actually say one is the most you can have because the gobies will fight, especially if they are the same type or look similar.

And i have no idea about the shrimp trap, but good luck!

Unfortunately, your shrimp is going to live where it wants to live. That's a risk when adding any animal like that. If you are able to trap it, it may move to where you put it back, but chances are just as good it will find a spot it likes out of view.

Hey all.

I added a lawnmower blenny and this dood is a bully. Stands right in the middle of my tank. Fans, bounces. any time my yasha and orange spotted, are in sight, he chases them. What can I do to catch it??

FInally, after a three day battle, I got that blenny out. Things are going great in the tank. My scrubber is finally starting to get some growth on the screens and my water parameters have been in tip top shape.

My Yasha, Pistol Shrimp, and Orange Spotted Gobi, are all up front now. They seem to have totally different attitudes after the blenny was removed. Since I got rid of the blenny, I replaced him with a Hi-Fin Red Banded Gobi.

When i added the Hi fin, the Yasha and Orange spottted started acting strange. The Orange spotted gobi has dug a hole in the back of the tank. From that hole in the sand, it keeps going up to the Hi-Fin's hole and fluttering it's body up and down the glass. It looks as if it's some sort of mating or introduction habit. It's not maliciuos in any way.

The Yasha will actually leave it's pistol shrimp behind and swim up to the Hi Fin's hole and do a bit of the same, except it will chase the Hi fin from the hole it's in. It doesn't look as if the Yasha is going for a bite. More like playing around. It's really cool to watch, I wonder what they are up to.

Here's some pictures of the new stand and new things done to the tank. Had to build my own stand. The store bought POS started to bow on me and I wasn't happy. I'm still trying to sort things out with the manufacture, by email. No names till i see if they take care of me.

Stand & Tank
cus_stand_and_tank.jpg

Cabinet
open_cab.jpg

I had to upgrade my pump to 561 gph and My sump tank to 10 gal. During the move to the new stand, the 240 gal pump broke. I have also put my heater in my sump. Display looks alot better with no heater. I'm gonna use the old 5.5 gallon sump tank, tank on right in pic, for a brine shrimp/live food tank. I installed a nifty, 5 dollar, grid shelf, from Lowe's over that to hold my Food, Cal, dkh, ect ect. I really like my new cabinet. Glad I built it.

Here's a picture of my tank mates

Orange Spotted Gobi
Orange_spotted_gobi.jpg

Hi Fin Red Banded Gobi
hi_fin_red_banded_gobi.jpg

I'll get a couple more pics updated, including a Yasha/Pistol, Frog Spawn, Acan, and full tank, when my water clears up a bit. It's a bit hazy today, although, all my tests were good today. :Cheers:

Back