great, another school shooting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Treezer8, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Treezer8

Treezer8

1. Advertisements

2. Treezer8

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Yeah I heard about that....wasn't it some kind of scuffle between a couple of people? I don't think it was another crazed random shooter. Still scary shit.

It sucks....just can't live in a bubble, though. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

wontonflip, Jan 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Treezer8

d2mini VIP Member

ahhhh... houston in the news once again. :rolleyes:

d2mini, Jan 22, 2013
  4. Treezer8

Adam Picard

sigh....

Adam Picard, Jan 22, 2013
  5. Treezer8

Treezer8

Well it happened in the library apparently, and the shooting started because of two guys that were arguing. Then one of them decided to open fire on the other guy in a hallway, hitting 2 or 3 other people. So it wasn't really a direct attack on students, just two guys that decided to do stupid shit, and unfortunately they missed eachother's heads. We need to start thinking about ways to prevent these kinds of things, but I don't think we should put guns in classrooms with teachers, and instead find a way to keep guns out of schools all together.

Treezer8, Jan 22, 2013
  6. Treezer8

Salty B

What ever happened to the good 'ol days when 2 guys would just duke it out and go on their merry way? Now, if you look at someone wrong you get shot or sued.

Salty B, Jan 22, 2013
  7. Treezer8

Bifferwine I am a girl

Yeah I know, right? People nowadays seem so quick to jump to guns or lawyers at any little indication of a problem. Since when do people think that picking up a gun and shooting someone is an acceptable way to handle an issue? I mean, geez, people get a gun pulled on them for cutting each other off in traffic. It's ridiculous. A weapon should be used as a last resort, and against another human being for defense only. Not for a freakin argument that happens in a school library or because mommy or daddy pissed you off. Only a pussy deals with problems that way, and that's what these people are -- big pussies that are sad or angry at someone and take it out on someone else that can't defend themselves.

Bifferwine, Jan 23, 2013
  8. Treezer8

Zissou What about my dynamite? VIP Member

There's no way to keep guns out of school, unless you install walled, impenetrable security that prevents any access inside without somebody buzzing you through. You could install airport style security lanes and xrays, but that still wouldn't stop anyone from getting in without armed security. Either way would be extremely expensive. Scanners probably would've discouraged these idiots from carrying inside, but you never know.

Otherwise, unless you treat the school like a prison, you can't prevent it. It would be much cheaper to just leave it up to the teachers to get CCW training to arm themselves; it still wouldn't *stop* these things from happening, but it might reduce the amount of people who get hurt.

It's either that or saddle up to the fact that these things just don't happen that often.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    Zissou, Jan 23, 2013
  9. Treezer8

Salty B

But the White House thinks if they they squash our 2nd amendment right that it's worth it if it saves just 1 life.....horsepucky! If the president wanted to save 1 life that bad he could walk a mile from Pensylvania Ave and find a 9 year old kid living in a cardboard box and adopt him. But you wont ever see that happen will you! More homeless folks freeze to death every year than kids shot in schools yet it's more important to target gun owners. Disarm the honest, while the criminals remain armed and we'll be safer.....that makes sence to who???? Whats next? Maybe we should embrace and welcome the "nice" Al Queda members into our country. Sorry folks...this country is going to hell in a handbasket. Except the government took away our handbaskets and pushed us into the express elevator!
    OK...I'm done now

Salty B, Jan 23, 2013
  10. Treezer8

little_fish Moderator

I think its because school have no tolerance policies on any sort of fighting. Fighting with a gun isnt any worse than fighting with your fists. Both will get you kicked out and in major trouble with the school authorities. Even a yelling match gets you in serious shit. There is no acceptable way to deal with issues anymore in school. You are just suppose to duck your head and hope it goes away.

little_fish, Jan 23, 2013
  11. Treezer8

Ted Living one day at a time

You have a point here. When I was in High School if you wanted to fight you went to the guys locker room and slugged it out. If anyone started losing badly the coaches would break it up. When my oldest was in High School he was attacked by another kid and he knocked the crap out of him. The only thing that saved him was he happened to be on camera when it happened. That and I brought a lawyer to the school for my meeting with the principle. The principle tried telling me that you are not allowed to fight back. My lawyer disagreed and offered to take him to court. The school backed down.

Ted, Jan 23, 2013
  12. Treezer8

bjohanson1234 .........

In high school, we had a saying

2:10 at the Hen

We got out of school at 2 and there was a White Hen(similar to a 7-11) across the street. There were constantly fights there. At least one a week.

bjohanson1234, Jan 23, 2013
  13. Treezer8

Bifferwine I am a girl

Not just school shootings. Homicide by firearm is one of the top five leading causes of death for all age groups of children. When kids are murdered, 84% of the time a firearm is used. And many of those murderers were previously law abiding citizens too. With the exception of the Connecticut shooter (who stole the guns from his mom), all the other recent mass shooters obtained their guns legally and had no criminal record or history.

I believe in the right to bear arms (I own guns) and no one is advocating taking all weapons away. But surely anyone can agree that we need a better system to keep them out of the hands of the wrong people (i.e. the mentally insane, those who would use them unprovoked on another human being, etc).

Injury & Violence Fact Sheet - DASH/HealthyYouth

Bifferwine, Jan 23, 2013
  14. Treezer8

sen5241b

Every one is looking for the cause of all the gun violence. Whenever you talk about human behavior you really need to look at multiple factors! High capacity magazines and greater firepower are a serious issue but people are too.

sen5241b, Jan 23, 2013
  15. Treezer8

sen5241b

The key to gun control is to ban no gun but tie greater personal responsibility to the level of firepower. You want 6 rounds a second? Demonstrate the responsibility before you are given a permit. With the gun show loophole idiots can all too easily get assault rifles.

sen5241b, Jan 23, 2013
  16. Treezer8

Bifferwine I am a girl

I agree. Banning certain weapons or certain magazines isn't a good solution. It may make a small difference (during the previous assault weapons ban, crimes committed with those types of weapons did decrease substantially), but those types of weapons are already used in such a small proportion of crimes. I think we are better off finding out and addressing what is causing these behaviors in the first place. These weapons are harmless in the hands of 99.9% of people, those that own them responsibly. It's that small segment of the population that uses them for bad things that needs to be addressed.

Bifferwine, Jan 23, 2013
  17. Treezer8

Neno reefs

Good thing i am home schooled

Neno reefs, Jan 23, 2013
  18. Treezer8

Zissou What about my dynamite? VIP Member

The Virgina Tech shooting was the worst in US history and was committed by handguns. Any idiot with any level of firepower is deadly. The knee jerk reaction to lay blame on 'military style' weapons is vain at best.

Zissou, Jan 23, 2013
  19. Treezer8

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

The gun control won't matter because in some of these cases, it's not the legitimate owner of the gun doing the mass shootings....it's their kids, or friends, or neighbors.

What people need to do is start paying more attention to the people who are clearly mentally disturbed. Columbine, VA Tech, Aurora, Newton....all disturbed individuals.

The shooting in this article wasn't a mass killing; just 2 idiots trying to play "who's got the bigger balls" with their guns. They could do with education. But in the end, it doesn't matter. You'll always have an individual who, no matter how much education you give them, they will still wave the gun around....and there's nothing mentally wrong with them except they are just idiots.

wontonflip, Jan 23, 2013
  20. Treezer8

Treezer8

So there was another shooting yesterday, but it was actually where I go to school. It was at the IRSC safety training complex (law enforcement training facility). The guy who did it actually went to my school and was a grade above me. One person got shot in the arm before the police took him down.

Treezer8, Feb 8, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question