Great site...Glad to join

IMOReefDesigns

Reefing newb
Hello all,

I am relatively new at the saltwater hobby. I have actually have had freshwater tanks since I was around 10 years old. (Several years ago). I wanted to be an ichthyologist in college but ended up with a business degree. I had about 10 tanks in my dorm room, ranging from a 10 gallon up to two 180-gallon tanks.

I have had quite a few successes in the freshwater world including several breeding pairs. Dempsey’s, Veil tail Oscars, Firemouths. But I always wanted to get into the saltwater hobby.

When I met my girlfriend, now my wife of 5 years, her brother in law was big into aquariums as well. He had his own side business of saltwater maintenance. I had read a lot about saltwater, but I was able to take my study to practice. I spent a lot of time with him learning the successes and failures of the hobby.

Ten years later, my brother in law was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer. He was not able to work and lost his house. This story is bittersweet. He had 8 tanks in house with a total of about 1500 gallons of saltwater. 600 lbs of live rock. When we were working on all of his tanks, he said that I was the only one that he trusted to work on his tanks and I was appreciative. So was he, I inherited two 75 gallon tanks which I built into a closet in my living room. I have them stacked on top of each other running off of the same sump. The rock works great for biological.

Here is the list:

Two 75 Oceanic Reef ready tanks
150 lbs of live rock (Marshall Island and ???)
Breeding pair of Tomato Clowns
2 Gorgonians
Odessa protein filter
Homemade sump (Rubbermaids w/ hair curlers)
High output fluorescent lights

I have had the tanks since around September of 08. Finally, I have cycled them out and the algae is now relatively under control. I bought a yellow tang for the top tank (RIP) Then I took a break from stocking that tank until I was sure the tanks were cycled. This last weekend, I purchased a Clear Tail Lionfish and also a Miniatus Grouper. They seem to be doing well. I pretty much have them already eating freeze dried krill.

I am choosing my member name for my brother in law IMO Reef Designs.

Enough is enough, here are some pics. Sorry the tanks need a little cleanup. The wife play hold em on Wednesdays and that is my cleaning night. Glad to be a part of this forum .

Attachments

• Tanks 9-18-08.jpg
    Tanks 9-18-08.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 336
  • Tanks 9-18-08 011.jpg
    Tanks 9-18-08 011.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 342
  • Lionfish.jpg
    Lionfish.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 372
  • Miniatus Grouper.jpg
    Miniatus Grouper.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 354
  • Tanks 9-18-08 010.jpg
    Tanks 9-18-08 010.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 331
Hi and welcome! Your fish are beautiful. Thanks for sharing how you got into this hobby, and feel free to ask any questions you have or post any advice or suggestions.

Are you planning on eventually turning one of your tanks into a reef tank, or do you want to stay with fish only?

I plan on turning my bottom tank into a reef tank...many, many questions. All of the rock that I have in both tanks is live rock. I have just been checking out what hitchhikers I have. I kknow that I have bristol worms. I have heard that they are bad. True? I have access to a trap if need be.

One thing that I have lucked out (Many of you will scream after this sentence) is that I still have not purchased a test kit. The only real thing that I have been monitoring the salinity. OK 8 posts on getting a kit.

This weekend I am getting a test kit and also another T5 hood.

I do have a RO system that I have been doing my water changes. (30% monthly) I also have a UV sterilizer, but am unsure what or where to do with it.

What would be the best start for heading towards a reef tank? I like quite a few of the soft corals and I have also had my eyes on a hunk of green star polyp. I have looked through the gallery and have seen some quite interesting tanks. I am just a little nervous on spending $$$$$$ on a lot of frags or pieces, but I want to get there.

Here are the tanks that I like: (In no certain order)
Biff (either you are pretty short or that is a huge tank)
Yote (nice new big tank)
kvcgsxr600 (nice polyps)
acer (nice inhabitants)
SunsetRoadzter
Rushy (your tank is coming along I like the structure of the rock)

Don't be offended if I left out your tank I don't want to make this too long as I am generally long winded when blogging.

As I get going, should I move to the tank showcase rather than being in the "Introduce Yourself" section? Can't wait to get going. This is really helping me move forward on the tanks. Now it is cleaning time.

You'll find that some of the ole time reefers will say to get rid of bristle worms.But thet are actually a great member of your clean up crew.99.9% of the bristle worm species feed on detritus and other waste.

Just post any questions you have in the appropriate forum.That'll also help you get more oppenions and answers.
BTW
Biffs not short by any means:D

I would like to start out with some LPS in my bottom tank. What would be some good starters?

I am looking at:
Fire and Ice Zoas
Eagle Eyes Zoas
Atomic Green Zoas
Red Eye Favia
maybe a piece of Hammer Coral

Thoughts?

first off zoanthids arent LPS they are softies, but thats a small technicality. i dont see a problem with any of those, they are all realitivly easy to care for

Still learning the whole program. This website is awesome!!!! Did this just start off with just a few friends? Thanks for your help. I may start with them. I hope I didn't piss off the Biff on another thread by saying that I didn't really care for PetCo or PetSmart. I just prefer to keep our local business going. Don't know if anyone else if from the north central US, but I know a few good LFSs. I actually know the company that sells fish to PetCo. Unfortunately, they pee'd in my Cherioos.

Enough for now, I am getting ready for opening walleye fishing this weekend. I will post pictures on another thread just not to bore everyone.

Nah why would you think that pissed me off? I even said that half of the fish I've bought from Petco died within a day or two.

Great tank setup. and I really liked that you shared how you got into the hobby. Late welcome to the forum.

A. Keep bristleworms
B. all of the above corals would be great. zoanthids are easy and beautiful, favia are great too. and you cant go wrong with any type of eyphilia coral. they are all stunning

All those corals you listed are great to start with.All of em are easy.

I think this site actually started from the Chattanooga reef clud(dont quote me on that).Then has grown from that.But yeah,I think we all pretty much consider each other as just a bunch of friends that enjoy the same hobby.Even if we are spread out all over the country and the world.

Back