Green Algae During Cycle

Hello,
I need some information and maybe some instruction. I have attached a picture of the algae that is starting to grow in my tank. I currently am partially through my cycle. I now have 0ppm Ammonia, 5.0+ppm Nitrite and 10-15ppm Nitrate.
I understand that during the cycle, algae will grow. I was wondering what kind this is, is it a good or bad kind, and should I do anything. It's even appearing on my sand bed now
smile.gif
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00123.jpg
    DSC00123.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 867
I wonder if this is the sort of thing that will lead to making my base rock into live rock? I think it's awesome. It's cool seeing nature actually happening in my aquarium:)

So, will the clean up crew eat this stuff? When more of this stuff grows in the coming days and weeks, will it lead to a Nitrite drop? Is this the kind of stuff one wants in a refugum (spelling??)

Sweet. I do have a habit of over thinking. I guess it's better to over think than for us to UNDER think, eh?:frustrat:

Speaking of over thinking; I need to get some reading material on the Coralline algae you mentioned. I have heard it mentioned several times. Looks like it's in my future.

I just remembered something: there is also something on the glass of the aquarium. I assume it's algae too but it looks like a inside of the glass is foggy or smudgy. It's not int he water or the outside of the glass, but is for sure on the inside. Should I wipe this clean with a scrubber or cloth or should just let it grow?

Most people get one of the magnet glass cleaners so that you don't have to stick your arm in the tank every time you clean the glass, which is pretty often. During my algae bloom I was having to scrape it a few times a day. It won't hurt anything except your ability to see in the tank.

:grumble: OK, I will resist the urge to scrub the glass of the aquarium. I suppose I can clean it after the cycle or should I let the clean up critters take care of it over time?

I think I got is backwards. The nitrites cause the algae to grow, right? I should have paid more attention in Chemistry and Biology class in college.:frustrat:

One set of bacteria turn ammonia into nitrites. Another set of bacteria turn nitrites into nitrates. Nitrates are usually manually removed through water changes. Does that help? Algae is secondary to your cycling process. :)
You can scrape the glass if you wish. I meant leave the rocks alone :D

Algae will remove nitrates, not nitrites. An algae film on the glass is inevitable -- it happens to every tank. Buy a magnet cleaner like Chichi said and scrape the glass as needed.

Back