green algae on frags

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Was wondering if there is any permanent way to get rid of the algae on the frags I got about a month ago. Once a week I have to take them out and pull off any green string-like algae off them and sometimes a small green bubble or two. Now, I know not to take those off in the tank, I have been taking each out of the tank and pulling stuff off seperately but wondered if there's something I can do to kill the algae on them until I can mount them in the tank permanently?

Yeah, I haven't tested in a bit and I do have a red cyano bloom happening right now that I plan to hit with Chemiclean in a day or two. Last time I tested though it was all in good shape. I'm going to test before I do the Chemiclean though jsut to be sure.

As far as adding CUC goes, I do plan on adding more but these frags are all up on a rack and I don't want anything up there knocking any of them off so that really doesn't help much, at least not until I put them down in the rock somewhere.

lift out frags. use a q tip dipped in 3% hydrogen peroxide to dab it on carefully around the base of the frag, right on the target algae. let sit after dabbing outside for one minute, rinse frag, place back in tank. algae will die in 24 hours regardless of your water params. It may or may not come back depending on your water params/bulbs etc but this is without doubt the fastest way to clean a frag. no peroxide touches the coral.

+1 Brandon...and depending on the type of coral, you may be able to dip the entire frag in a 50/50 peroxide and saltwater dip. Let it sit for about 3 mins, and place back inside tank.

Smitty its very neat that peroxide isnt just a fad that will come and go. At any time if we want algae taken off substrate X it will do it unquestionably.

Now the most interesting frontier imo is whether or not some strains will develop a resistance to it.
none have so far, and its been used for about 3 yrs now in marine circles

I've noticed that bryopsis algae will wither away and die, but come back a little while later...so it may have to be treated more often to totally eradicate it.

Back