Green algae on glass

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I am getting sick of having to clean my glass twice a day:frustrat:This shit grows extremely fast. I am doing weekly water changes with R.O. My API test kit is reading 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates (kind of wondering if API is accurate).

Any ideas?

I am having the same problem. I have a green film on the glass everyday that I have clean. could be worse. I have 20 snails in a 55 gallon and they don't seem to keep up on it. I use ro water myself and weekly water changes, but it is there everyday. I am sure we coulf buy another piece of equipment to put in our sump. ha. you gotta love this hobby. ahhhhhh

Astrea's will never be able to clean this problem. I like my glass to be really clean. There has got be another reason why I am having this algae problem.

my tank did that too when it was young. as it matured I saw it less and less. now I don't have any. I just have to wipe the little fuzzy algae off once a week.

I'm running 6 bags of Chemipure and Chemipure elite(thanks yote!) through filter cylinders,kinda like a phosphate reactor.I can go a whole week now without having to clean the glass.

I've gone back to running Phosban in the return section of my refugium.

I've got a hair algae outbreak and it's driving me nuts. I change water. I use RO/DI. I am scraping my front glass every day. I am anal--I mean ANAL-- and I want my front glass sparkley clean. It grows a fog of green algae every day. I got hair algae all over my rocks, on my snail shells, on my powerheads. :frustrat:

Too embarrassed to even post a pic of it.

I shut my lights off for 3 days last weekend. Been cleaning hair algae manually by putting my hand in the tank and ripping it off rocks and powerheads. Finally broke down and dropped a bit of Phosban into a media bag and chucked it into the refugium.

I even got purple hair algae. PURPLE!!! :frustrat:

:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

I'm upset--can ya tell?:mrgreen:

There may be a market some where for purple hair algae:mrgreen:

I know how it is Rc.My tank is just now starting to get over a hair outbreak.
IMHO,Any and all tanks are going to go through algae and cyano outbreaks from time to time.Its all just part of the process of the tank settling in.

newer tanks have that problem. it does tend to go away after 8-9 months of a tank going up. It is an irritant and you can cut it down by putting in a phosphate remover, using carbon and good water changes

-Doc

Thanks for the advice. I figured it was because my tank is fairly new. I have had it up about 8 months. I will sit here waiting patiently.

yeah. me 2. Mine has been up for 6 weeks and I still get it from time to time. My kids like cleaning the glass so it makes it OK since I don't have to see it

-Doc

Bryan- Phosphates are very hard to detect reliably using liquid tests (merck is the exception), I would begin using a good granular ferric oxide and carbon. Algae needs phosphates and dissolved organics, the ferric oxide will reduce phosphates and the carbon will remove the molecules that the skimmer leaves behind.

Biff;
Will a sea hare REALLY eat all the algae on my rocks? I got it BAD right now and it's making me crazy. Are they "selective" eaters and only eat a certain type of algae? Or, will it eat ALL the algae in my tank?

I'm tempted.

I guess ya just trade it back to the LFS when all your algae is gone or supplement it with seaweed if you want to keep it around?

They will eat any algae you have! ESPECIALLY hair algae! You CAN supplement their diet with seaweed sheets, but I found mine really hard to feed that way (they just didn't take to it). So I ended up taking mine back to the store or giving her to a friend.

Back