Green Algae on rock? Help quick

jrose40

Reefing newb
My rock in my tank has been slowly building a green algae and its finally gotten to the point where I have removed half of the rock and tried cleaning it with a brush but its still dyed the green color and looks horrible. What can I do with it? Boil it? let it sit in a bucket with water and clean it daily until its all gone? Help I have the rock now in a bucket as I just removed it about 30 mins ago.

Easy there, algae is normal for a tank that is new, Im sure all of us have battled with it at one time or another. How long are your lights on? What are your water parameters?

I run my lights about 7-10 hrs a day..new lights in a bc14. Parameters are all in line perfect from everything under the sun LOL..

Should I just put the rock back in and let it keep going? I needed to move them around anyways bc I had a piece of monte cap fall down in a cave

How old is your tank? Algae is feeding off of something and not having proper lighting can be one of the things that cause it. Old bulbs can cause algae growth, a few things can. Basically your tank is providing nutrients for it to grow, and from what you describe, at a rapid pace. I would start by putting your lights on timers and running them 8 hours a day max. A black out for a few days should really help to clear up your issues. But for more info, can you post your water parameters? Your stocking list? How often you are feeding? What you are feeding??

Ph 8.3
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
1 Clown
1Yellow Watchman Goby
2 Mushrooms
1 Hammer Coral
1 Frogspawn
1 Feather Duster
10 Blue Legged hermits
2 Turbo Snails
5 Nerite Snails
Feeding daily/frozen foods mix of brine etc...
My bulbs are brand new less than a week old, tank has been up and running for over 3 months. I change my filter floss almost daily and am running no bio balls with chem-pure elite and purigen.

do u have a skimmer ? if not get one also get another turbo snail or 2 and a lawn mower blenny they love that stuff also red sea has a algae management program that works really well ... but put the rock back in the tank and dont boil it lol

do u have a skimmer ? if not get one also get another turbo snail or 2 and a lawn mower blenny they love that stuff also red sea has a algae management program that works really well ... but put the rock back in the tank and dont boil it lol

Lawn mower blenny is a bad idea. He will mow through everything you have quickly and then youll have to actually put algae in your tank to sustain him.

I would honestly cut back on your lights as a start. I noticed when I run my lights for more then 8 hours I start to have serious problems. Also you dont need to be feeding every single day. move to every other day, how often are you doing water changes?

you just take the lawn mower blenny back to the LFS after he did his job , its good to have a good relationship with your LFS lol

I know our LFS can rent out a sea cucumber to clean up such messes. I am battling the same rigamarole. I have since added an algae turf scrubber and am pulling out some bad algae and it has been falling off the base rocks.

Greetings, I'm just at the end of an algae cleanup, I had green fuzzy algae growing all over the rocks in my tank. I found by dramatically reducing the time the light was on for just a few days, it cleared up almost completely.
I also believe that in order to prevent as much algae from growing under normal lighting I need to get more snails.

Good Luck!

Greetings, I'm just at the end of an algae cleanup, I had green fuzzy algae growing all over the rocks in my tank. I found by dramatically reducing the time the light was on for just a few days, it cleared up almost completely.
I also believe that in order to prevent as much algae from growing under normal lighting I need to get more snails.

Good Luck!

Did you turn off your actinic light as well or just your 8500k/120000k ligh, or both??

My setup only has the metal halide hqi light, so there is no direct lighting at all when its off. Because the biocube hqi has a glass top, lots of light from the room gets in though.

Back