green algae

Sperry6591

Reefing newb
My 75 gallon has been running awhile now, being my oldest tank.. Ive experienced a bloom of green algae on my rocks, and towards the bottom of my aquarium glass.. it is not hair algae .. but it sort of looks like coraline algae but GREEN! could this be from high phosphate levels? I'm all out of my phosphate tests, and will be buying another kit tomorrow.. but any suggestions?

Could be anything. The only way to know IS to test. Are your bulbs old? test your parameters and maybe it will give you answers.

Green coralline algae is pretty common -- it looks just like the regular purple stuff, but is green. Can you post a picture?

Usually, from what *I* have seen, green coraline is the start of coraline and will turn colours down the road. But hey, I don't have nearly 45,000 posts either!

Usually, from what *I* have seen, green coraline is the start of coraline and will turn colours down the road. But hey, I don't have nearly 45,000 posts either!

You are right -- it can go either way. Sometimes it will stay green. Sometimes it will change colors.

I will post pictures very soon when i find my camera :P but just an update.. no phosphates in my tank and everything else looks great my rocks are also growing purple/pink coraline, but theres still some green on a few of the rocks. green coraline may be the answer to this.. if it is is there anyway to get rid of the green?

Back