Green Algea Stage

Hello everyone. I have a 55 gallon tank with 69 lbs of live rock. My tank just finished it's first cycle a few weeks ago and I have been told by my LFS that the green algea stage is coming. Well guess what, it's here. I only feed once a day and my lights have been on for 12 hours a day ( I just cut back to 10). I only use RO water and do 10% water change per week. I guess my question is, do I need to do anything speacial or is this just part of the normal process?

Cut back to 8 hours of lights, more is unnecessary. Other than that, its likely just gonna be a few weeks with minimal feeding, but you should also try rinsing the food in clean RO/DI to get rid of excess phosphates.

Try to avoid feeding flakes and pellets which contain a lot of phosphates. Stick to the nutritional frozen foods but still rinse it as kbuser suggested. I rinse my food in a brine net with RO/DI water and then feed with the net. This practice also gets your fish more comfortable with a net in the tank in case you ever need to catch one. **Disclaimer doesn't always mean you will catch it**:mrgreen:

Back