Green algea

JBReef

Reefing newb
I dont really have much time to wright this so real quick.

I have a 20 gallon tank with about 25lbs of LR and 20lbs LS. I have a fuge on the back with filter screan to catch big stuff. I have a "GLO" T5HO light fixture with a 24watt actinic and a 24watt supper day light. I have about 10/12 quarter sized snails, 5 small blue leged hermits, 3 quarter sized hermits, a dimond golby and a manderin. The light is on for about 13 hours and I am geting quite a bit of green algea producing on my LR. My water parameters are all stable (last time I check.....about a week ago) this started about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I started cutting back on the light to about 10 hours. should I add more of a cleaning crew? cut light down to 6 hours?

How big is a normal cleaning crew in a 20 gallon? If I don't clean the glass for a couple days it builds up but no more than normal. How do I clear up the LR?

Thanks for the help!

Well algae is cause by many things and a cleaning crew can only handle so much. You will need to do your part too to help lower algae growth. How much do you feed the tank? when was your last water change? Do you use tap water?

We need some basic info first.

What/how much/how often do you feed? Flakes and pellet foods will lead to algae problems, while frozen foods don't as easily.

Tap water (even treated) can contain phosphates and nitrates. Feeding and tap water are probably the two biggest sources of algae problems. Use RODI water only.

Do you have some sort of filtration, like a good protein skimmer? You are getting nutrient build up from somewhere, and once you find the source, you can fix the algae problem.

Back