green bubbles appear on mushroom rock

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
I have seen them in some LFS and now for the first time I see about 4 on one of my mushroom rock. They are about 1/4 inch or less in size.

They are probably bubble algae. Just responded to another thread about them. You can remove them by hand carefully, don't pop them in the tank or they'll spread their spores. Emerald crabs will also eat them.

Google "valonia" to make sure that's what it is.

upon removing some of these I noticed that two of my 3 new turbo snails that I paid 3.99 each for to remove hair algae were nothing but a shell. I went to a trusted store of my local reefers club and told the guy that I definitly didn't want margarita snails. These guys lasted 5 days. I can't find the 3rd and I am assuming it died too. The first couple of days they were doing awesome and helping clean up my diatoms on the glass.

Try and ID exactly what type of snail you got.

It could be anything -- snails don't like pH or temperature swings, or high nitrates. And sometimes they just die.

Margarite snails are from DEEP waters (Gulf of Mexico?) and they need water temps about 50--60F

It's not hard to see how they cook in our reef tanks with temps ranging from 72--80F. Slow boil.

Fish stores should be banned from even selling them. It's inhumane.

IMO-- there ain't a damn snail in the world worth buying for algae control. Mine don't eat it. I've got astrea snails and MIRACULOUSLY 4 margarite snails that have survived for about 8 months. Do they eat algae off my rocks? HELL NO!! I can't use turbos in my tank because the tank is so small. Turbos would be like putting mini bulldozers in my tank. Then I'd have to kill them.

ALL species of snails are very delicate and require extended acclimation times. Like 3hrs MINIMUM. 5--8hrs would be better. They are 99% water. Rapid changes in salinity is the biggest killer. Their blood vessels and kidneys burst from rapid changes in salinity. :shock: They die in a few days/weeks from blood poisoning.

Last edited:
Margarite snails are from DEEP waters (Gulf of Mexico?) and they need water temps about 50--60F

Actually, they are found in the Pacific, and while some come from the western coast of Mexico (which is still colder water), most of them are collected from the Pacific Northwest (which is really cold water).

It's not hard to see how they cook in our reef tanks with temps ranging from 72--80F. Slow boil.

Fish stores should be banned from even selling them. It's inhumane.

IMO-- there ain't a damn snail in the world worth buying for algae control. Mine don't eat it. I've got astrea snails and MIRACULOUSLY 4 margarite snails that have survived for about 8 months. Do they eat algae off my rocks? HELL NO!! I can't use turbos in my tank because the tank is so small. Turbos would be like putting mini bulldozers in my tank. Then I'd have to kill them.

ALL species of snails are very delicate and require extended acclimation times. Like 3hrs MINIMUM. 5--8hrs would be better. They are 99% water. Rapid changes in salinity is the biggest killer. Their blood vessels and kidneys burst from rapid changes in salinity. :shock: They die in a few days/weeks from blood poisoning.

I feel tension in your post and the other ones.

Are you constipated or something.Get some of that yogurt that helps you poop.:mrgreen:

I do have to disagree about snails not helping to keep algae under control.My rocks and glass is sweeky clean except for aiptasias though.

Back