Green Coralline?

coolhandgoose

Reef enthusiast
Is it possible to have green coralline? I have red, pink and purple but wondering if it can also be green?
I have this stuff growing on my overflow pipe and on the glass in the overflow.

photo-2.jpg

There is such thing as green coraline, but all the green coraline I've seen has been lighter in color.

I do not believe in green coralline. I think what appears to be green coralline is bleached, dead red or pink coralline with a thin layer of some other green algae growing on it.

Last edited:
I do not believe in green coralline. I think what appears to be green coralline is bleached, dead red or pink coralline with a thin layer of some other green algae growing on it.

Ya but this is a new tank and I've never had any red or pink coralline in the overflow.
I have some bright green growing inside the tank mostly on the side glass, the darker stuff is in the overflow where there isn't very much light

Thanks for the info. The stuff on the glass kind of looks like coralline growth but like you say there's thousands of different types. I'm sure whatever is feeding it will eventually exhaust out.
I did water tests and my nitrates are absolutely 0 so something must be feeding it. It's just weird stuff because it grows in the DT as well and it's hard, like you have to use your finger nail to scrape it off. I'm getting tons of red and pink coralline growth so that's why I thought maybe it was a type of coralline but just green this time.

Thanks for the info. The stuff on the glass kind of looks like coralline growth but like you say there's thousands of different types. I'm sure whatever is feeding it will eventually exhaust out.
I did water tests and my nitrates are absolutely 0 so something must be feeding it. It's just weird stuff because it grows in the DT as well and it's hard, like you have to use your finger nail to scrape it off. I'm getting tons of red and pink coralline growth so that's why I thought maybe it was a type of coralline but just green this time.

Yeah, but what are your phosphate levels?

Back