Green Coralline?

Washburn82

Reefing newb
Ive noticed over the past month my glass is really starting to get covered in what looks like green corralline to me. It comes in spots and is very difficult to remove, my magnet scrubber barely phases it. I manage to keep the front of my tank clean from it from constant cleaning though the back and sides of my tank are getting hit hard. I assume there is no negative effect from this alage aside from the PITA of removing it. Just curious if it is best to remove it or let it be or is it personal preference. Also a sign that coralline is growing well what does that say about our water params? Good things i hope. :)

IMG_20120219_102023.jpg

IMG_20120219_102012.jpg

IMG_20120219_101951.jpg

Coralline growth is an indicator that you are maintaining good Calcium and Alkalinity balance. Whether you scrape it off your glass is personal preference :-)

The front is clean. I do it daily. The back is the worst. The sides are OK but I'm going to have to invest in some better type of scraper. Noticed I'm getting purple on my power heads as well. Thinking it will come on my rocks soon. They are all turning a deep red color hard and crusty. I'm assuming thats the begining stages of coralline.

Yupp! My 29 is purple everywhere but the front and its even starting to grow on the front. Time to get the scraper out!

i just saw a really cool scraper, its called the flipper. It has both a large flat side for general scraping, but then you can flip it over and it has a razor blade to scape coraline with. Best part is its only $20, which is much cheaper than the others with razor blade attachments.

Does that not scuff the glass at all Brittany?

Lil_Fish- That scraper looks awesome! im getting one. i have to now.

Last edited:
Regular razor blades don't help much with deep tanks either. Heck, I'd need a ladder and 1/2 the water drained out to scrape all of mine and it's only a standard 90!

I have seen, online, a mag float scraper that has a blade attachment. I'm thinking of getting one soon. I have seen add on, glue on, blades for the mag floats too. I've just never been too lucky glueing stuff. Other than my fingers that is.

Nope doesn't scratch the glass. Have to hold it at an angle. Good thing I don't have a deep tank lol. Plain razor blade works fine on my small tanks.

Easy Blade algae scraper. You just super glue it onto your magnet scrubber, and it has a razor blade thats at just the right angle to get everything off with like one pass. Not to mention cheap, But buy some extra blades. like 3 bucks for 5 or something like that.

Back