Green frogspawn losing tentacles

Lesely

Reefing newb
image.jpg
Hi. Bright green frogspawn been in tank 4 months growing happily. Fine last night. Got home from work today and about half it's tentacles are missing ? I have recently increased flow but not a huge amount. What could possibly be its issue. Tank parameters. Ph 8,3. Alk 9.6 cal 420 mag 1300. Salinity 1.024. Increased last 72 hours from 1.023 ??? Could this be it. ? I don't want to lose it ?

When you say missing are they retracted or actually gone? It could be a little pissed at you if you increased the flow on it. Raising your SG up that little over that time period wouldn't kill it but it could also make it pout a little. Your parameters look good. I've had a hermit get up in the branches and agitate mine and it would retract for a while.

I mean gone, empty skeleton ?
exactly half are GONE , I have to make a correction too, the salinity went up from 1.023 ti 1.025 started ATO salt water on Sunday so its been 4 days not 72 hours Some have suggested that they try to spawn this way. have you ever heard that ? Sound strange way to spawn.

I have had hammer (same family) coral bud like that a couple times but not at the rate you are describing. I have never seen one lose half in one night?
You haven't seen any of it rolling around or behind the rocks or anything?

I was cleaning the tank on Sunday and did notice a couple of small heads floating around, but as we have a lot of green I couldn't work out which coral it was, The frogspawn didnt look like it does now so I didn't realize. The bits left over look very healthy, opening up and still very green ? It is very strange. We have moved it now to a lower flow area, although it has been in the same spot for the whole 4 months, changing the rock work may have created a little more flow were he was ? But I don't believe it was strong enough to just blow him away literally. lol

It's in the process of dying. I had some barnacles in some of my torch heads that kept them retracted. I decided to clear them out and took to much out. A couple of days later they were floating around the tank. Flow is a big issue with this type of lps. Flow will do the same if whipped around too. I would split them, each polyp goes for 25 to 30 around here and by the size of that colony..... .

That frogspawn cost us $75 and that's cheap. Anything with that fluro green or red is very expensive here in Australia. Wish it was. $30. I would have heaps if them lol

Yea, for my area green torches run 30 @ the lfs, I actually have a 3 head and a single in my basement sump waiting to sell..... The pricey ones are the picture, gold torches at 70-90.
I wouldn't worry about some Dead heads honestly, it happens from time to time. If you are worried, go get your water tested by a fellow hobbiest or lfs to compare. They look like they are in the shadows of a cave, imho, I'd move them out a little, they do enjoy photosynthesis
1392245425209.jpg
1392245677089.jpg

Salt for brains what is budding? I've never heard this term before when associated with torch, hammer or frogspawn. Do you mean that is how they split?
In my case, my hammer has shed the whole polyp on a head and has taken root in another area. Growing its own skeleton just like a small frag. This has happened at least twice in my tank but could have been more since it could get blown around to a area I can't see and/or die. I have a bud now that has four heads that was mere glow in a rock crevice a few months ago. Some anemone species use budding in the wild to reproduce so this term may not be appropriate for coral but it was the best word I could use to describe it.

It's not the term I'm focused on by all means, I never have seen this happen. If the flesh is floating around I just assumed that they were in the process of dying. Just my curiosity and wondering why I toss the buds out. I've only seen them split both nems and lps.

I've had it happen with a frogspawn a small amount of polyps detached and attached to another LR and re grew. I was told its polyp drop, and it's general ya sign go bad placement in the tank.

just an update. Frogspawn tonight after work is DEAD. totally gone. Slimed over and not one polyp left. No idea what happened after 4 months of growing happily. Wrong placement maybe ? Thanks for all your feed back and suggestions, much appreciated.
P.S green goni her is aussie about $30-50 but green frogspawn lot more expensive.

I've had it happen with a frogspawn a small amount of polyps detached and attached to another LR and re grew. I was told its polyp drop, and it's general ya sign go bad placement in the tank.

I never knew they could regrow. I figured the only way is it would need the stony portion part to continue to grow. It has no mouth at this time and must be directly photosynthetic?

My question is, if I cut the sweepers off, could I get more of a harvest?

I never knew they could regrow. I figured the only way is it would need the stony portion part to continue to grow. It has no mouth at this time and must be directly photosynthetic?

My question is, if I cut the sweepers off, could I get more of a harvest?
I can't really answer you, I've never tried it on purpose. I can't find the thread, this is going back about 6 years or so but I was also told it's hit or miss that they regrow. And yes it was without a mouth for a few weeks. Once the mouth developed I started seeing some skeletal growth. It was also tricky keeping it from blowing around the tank.

When my hammer did it the buds ended up in a rock crevice. I could just see a little glow during dusk/dawn. They grew out with no direct feeding.

Lesley, I am sorry for your loss. I can't believe how fast it went out.

just an update. Frogspawn tonight after work is DEAD. totally gone. Slimed over and not one polyp left. No idea what happened after 4 months of growing happily. Wrong placement maybe ? Thanks for all your feed back and suggestions, much appreciated.
P.S green goni her is aussie about $30-50 but green frogspawn lot more expensive.

Sorry for your lost.

My experience and from reading other people's experience.Aussie euphyllia are having poor long term survivals..IME,it's usually the odd color gold,orange hammers,torches and frogspawns.I'm losing a orange hammer from STN(slow tissue necrosis) currently for reasons unknown.I've lost a gold torch from RTN(rapid tissue necrosis),within two days completely gone.People have speculated from something getting down into the skeleton like grain of sand.Slimed over tells me yours contracted brown jelly disease from an infection.

Back