green hair algae problems help!

brandontucker407

Reefing newb
i am having a problem with algae and dont have a clue why all water test are perfect PH,NIT,NAT,CA,KH,MG,PHOS, everything the only i can think is that i have bio balls still and my tank is about 3 years old, but like i said nit, and nat. i feed once a day with pallets and running light only 6 hours and changing water once every 7 days

You're using RODI I hope right? Got enough flow? Anything added? Do you rinse your bioballs out?

You're only feeding pellets? No frozen foods? Depending on the brand, pellets and flakes have high phosphates. Your phosphates are probably testingi 0 because the algae's eating it all up LOL

yeah i have RO/DI good water flow , No did rinse the balls thought thats not a good idea it will lower the bacteria . But you think the algae is eating the phosphates

There is no feasible (cheap) way to test for phosphates, because the algae consumes it as soon as it is produced in the tank, making it look like the reading is zero (when it's really high).

Bioballs tend to lead to algae problems with time. I'd remove them and see if that helps. If you have live rock and sand in your tank, don't worry about the bacteria on the bioballs -- just remove them a handful at a time every couple days.

And like Wonton said, you should switch to frozen foods. Flakes and pellets often contain preservatives which fuel algae.

Do you also have a good cleaner crew? Snails and crabs?

How do I get my phosphates at 0 if the algae is eating the phosphates and its testing 0 how do i solve this problem i testing phosphates and reading 0 and all my water test are perfect

You don't need to test for phosphates. Just assume that you have them. If you have algae, you probably have phosphates. What good is testing going to do? Testing is not going to get rid of the algae. Work on the root causes of nitrates and phosphates, and that will make your algae go away.

What are your nitrates at? The number? You can keep saying your water tests are perfect, but if you have algae problems, they are not. The algae is just using the crap in your water so that none is left in the tank for you to measure.

Last edited:
How is a good way to get rid of phosphate i do water changes once a week and the water is good

Please read what people have already posted. You get rid of phosphates the same way you get rid of nitrates.

You're using RODI I hope right? Got enough flow? Anything added? Do you rinse your bioballs out?

You're only feeding pellets? No frozen foods? Depending on the brand, pellets and flakes have high phosphates. Your phosphates are probably testingi 0 because the algae's eating it all up LOL

There is no feasible (cheap) way to test for phosphates, because the algae consumes it as soon as it is produced in the tank, making it look like the reading is zero (when it's really high).

Bioballs tend to lead to algae problems with time. I'd remove them and see if that helps. If you have live rock and sand in your tank, don't worry about the bacteria on the bioballs -- just remove them a handful at a time every couple days.

And like Wonton said, you should switch to frozen foods. Flakes and pellets often contain preservatives which fuel algae.

Do you also have a good cleaner crew? Snails and crabs?

I've asked you other questions.

Do you have a cleaner crew (snails, crabs)?

What are your nitrates reading at?

Do you have enough flow?

You can keep saying your water is perfect, your water is good. If that was the case, you wouldn't be having algae problems. Your water is obviously not perfect. You may think it is, but something is causing algae to grow in your tank.

We can help you more if you answer our questions.

Yeah, bioballs should be rinsed out in your old change-out water. It won't kill the bacteria. But it's best to remove it altogether, a handful at a time, like Biff said.

Something else about phosphates.The kits we buy will only read inorganic phosphates.They wont pick up the organic kind thats produced by ALL the animals in our tanks.

Back