green hair algae

Marke86

Coral Junkie
hey guys,
whats up? Sorry I havent been around much i've been busy with school and broke so I could not do to many fish tank investments, but I do have a green hair algae problem I dont know how to get rid of it. Any Ideas?

Thanx,
Mark

an eyelash blenny seems to have done great for alexanders tank. also a long spine urchin has done great. i would suggest both personally after watching the work they have done...

The critters that Flojo and Alexander will help.But you'll still need to manually remove as much as possible.Then figure out where its nutrients are coming from.It'll also help to up the water changes,and cut the lights back some.Run some GFO too.

I agree with the above. Increase your water changes, make sure you only use RO water (not tap) and run phosphate remover. Do this for a few weeks and you will see it go down. I would suggest doing water changes twice per week until you notice algae going away.

Good luck.

i would say that most will disagree with what im going to say but it worked for me

turn the lights off
cover the tank with a sheet
only turn the light on long enough to feed
three days and it will be gone

this was my solution after trying everything else and getting fed up
i was doing everything, 10-20% changes twice a week, reducing lighting, running a phophate reactor, rodi water

got sick of it
said the hell with it
figured if algea needs light to grow, then im taking it away completely

fatman would have given me a 10 paragraph dissertation why this is bad
but it worked

i would say that most will disagree with what im going to say but it worked for me

turn the lights off
cover the tank with a sheet
only turn the light on long enough to feed
three days and it will be gone

this was my solution after trying everything else and getting fed up
i was doing everything, 10-20% changes twice a week, reducing lighting, running a phophate reactor, rodi water

got sick of it
said the hell with it
figured if algea needs light to grow, then im taking it away completely

fatman would have given me a 10 paragraph dissertation why this is bad
but it worked

Hey if it worked without any damage then no solution is a bad one.

i agree to a point ... but when i experienced this in my first few months ... i turned off my daytime lights completely for 2-3 days but kept my actinics on ... i reduced the actinics from 12 hours to 8 hours ... remember the sun doesnt always shine everyday over the ocean there are several cloudy days i am sure ... if you have corals then i wouldnt starve them any longer than 3 days for the daytime lights ... maybe a day or two with them on and then back to 2-3 days off if you need to ... getting through the cycle is all part of the process it takes patience but it does get better ... also remember there is no set time table for a new tank cycle ... it could last up to 2-3 months sometimes just depends on how well you take care of your system

I've got a about 20 margarite snails and 20 blue leg hermits and 3 sand sifting snails and the hair algae keeps spreading. I want to get a turbo or 2 and either a lawnmower blenny or some nerite or cerith snails. Not sure how much and what to get first.

Back